Super... nuisance anemone :\

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is what concerns me, boiling water mixed with live rock is a real real bad idea.

What's your credentials/experience for being concerned? I can't find anything that makes the same claim as you.

Seems my last post did not stick. I was a 74DL4 in the US Army, chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear warfare specalist. I can post reference materials later today when I am on my PC

Seems my last post did not stick. I was a 74DL4 in the US Army, chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear warfare specalist. I can post reference materials later today when I am on my PC

Ok, Thks. Do they teach this particularly in the Army?? I'm surprised that since this is such a dangerous issue that not more people speak about it on these types of forums. I did finally find 1 other forum talking about it & I just plain searched the Palytoxin itself. Scary stuff!! I'm guessing it's pretty rare to come across this toxin or there'd be lots more reef keepers dying--doesn't make it any less of a thing to be worried about as you never know the possibility for the toxin to be there.

Not all zoa, paly, and anems have the same concentrations, and the polyps don't always have to he visible to release the toxin, but there is some pretty scary stuff in our tanks that a lot of people take for granted.

Not all zoa, paly, and anems have the same concentrations, and the polyps don't always have to he visible to release the toxin, but there is some pretty scary stuff in our tanks that a lot of people take for granted.

So if we just keep our rock & sand in the tank, no boiling water or don't leave it laying around, we should be fine, right?? So what about rocks/coral my kids have brought home from the beach & left in the garage... are we just lucky we haven't died yet?? I'm not being fictitious I just like to be fully aware of dangers in our life if I can be!

Handling rock is safe, just use common sense. Don't touch face ect before washing hands, don't bare hand corals. The toxin needs a way in. It can be soaked through skin but takes a large ammount and a decent exposure time. Boiling the rock puts the toxin in arisol form, and that is where the real danger lies.

Handling rock is safe, just use common sense. Don't touch face ect before washing hands, don't bare hand corals. The toxin needs a way in. It can be soaked through skin but takes a large ammount and a decent exposure time. Boiling the rock puts the toxin in arisol form, and that is where the real danger lies.

Wow. So scary! Whoda thunk?! I'd imagine that it'd make you at least have pain or feel crappy even you had a lil exposure even if it didn't kill you. Now I'm worried b/c this hobby seems dangerous.

Got a pm from the mods they approved my links. Most everything can be dangerous, after all many salt water fish are poisonous/venomous. Clowns can build up nematocysts in their slime coat, making them mildly toxic, some clams and crabs are that way too. Cone snails, lion fish, stone fish, and I believe some Tangs are venomous too. Many of the most toxic creatures on earth are in the oceans. The chemicals we use can cause burns, not to mention electricity.

Besides palyotoxin, which has poisoned some people, but is far from common, heating rocks acne cause them to burst, sending boiling water and shrapnel flying.

After my trips to the desert, the Chemical Corps started digging into weaponizing "home grown" toxins for Homeland Security. And I can tell you there is stuff everywhere.

Got a pm from the mods they approved my links. Most everything can be dangerous, after all many salt water fish are poisonous/venomous. Clowns can build up nematocysts in their slime coat, making them mildly toxic, some clams and crabs are that way too. Cone snails, lion fish, stone fish, and I believe some Tangs are venomous too. Many of the most toxic creatures on earth are in the oceans. The chemicals we use can cause burns, not to mention electricity.

Besides palyotoxin, which has poisoned some people, but is far from common, heating rocks acne cause them to burst, sending boiling water and shrapnel flying.

Yes, I was aware that some fish are poisonous w/ spines, etc. But that is a controlled risk, just don't touch them. However, this Palytoxin scares me! Had no idea Clownfish could be toxic. And yes, I've been shocked by my pump on my sump. OUCH! It wasn't real bad but it wasn't pleasant.

After my trips to the desert, the Chemical Corps started digging into weaponizing "home grown" toxins for Homeland Security. And I can tell you there is stuff everywhere.

I'm surprised you're allowed to talk about this so openly.

The specifics are not discussed, but the MSDS for any product explains the risks. Weaponizing is a complicated process, thankfully outside the scope of all but the most determined people.

Other accidental exposures are far too common. Everyone knows what happens when you mix bleach and ammonia, yet they don't think about windex and bathroom cleaners.

Bottom line take proper precautions, gloves and goggles when fragging, don't barehand anything on your tank for your own protection as well as your tank inhabitants, don't drop entire rock in boiling water, and know what is in your tank

I have two more anemone :\
So glad I bought the Aiptasia-X

image-178236711.jpg

image-996436846.jpg

Back
Top Bottom