Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcar79 View Post
Hmm... I will pick my LFS's brains. I wonder which corals, etc. to just avoid all together if it is hard to tell the diff between similar looking ones to the very poisonous ones.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Got a pm from the mods they approved my links. Most everything can be dangerous, after all many salt water fish are poisonous/venomous. Clowns can build up nematocysts in their slime coat, making them mildly toxic, some clams and crabs are that way too. Cone snails, lion fish, stone fish, and I believe some Tangs are venomous too. Many of the most toxic creatures on earth are in the oceans. The chemicals we use can cause burns, not to mention electricity.

Besides palyotoxin, which has poisoned some people, but is far from common, heating rocks acne cause them to burst, sending boiling water and shrapnel flying.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #33

After my trips to the desert, the Chemical Corps started digging into weaponizing "home grown" toxins for Homeland Security. And I can tell you there is stuff everywhere.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Got a pm from the mods they approved my links. Most everything can be dangerous, after all many salt water fish are poisonous/venomous. Clowns can build up nematocysts in their slime coat, making them mildly toxic, some clams and crabs are that way too. Cone snails, lion fish, stone fish, and I believe some Tangs are venomous too. Many of the most toxic creatures on earth are in the oceans. The chemicals we use can cause burns, not to mention electricity.

Besides palyotoxin, which has poisoned some people, but is far from common, heating rocks acne cause them to burst, sending boiling water and shrapnel flying.
Yes, I was aware that some fish are poisonous w/ spines, etc. But that is a controlled risk, just don't touch them. However, this Palytoxin scares me! Had no idea Clownfish could be toxic. And yes, I've been shocked by my pump on my sump. OUCH! It wasn't real bad but it wasn't pleasant.

Quote:
After my trips to the desert, the Chemical Corps started digging into weaponizing "home grown" toxins for Homeland Security. And I can tell you there is stuff everywhere.
I'm surprised you're allowed to talk about this so openly.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #35

The specifics are not discussed, but the MSDS for any product explains the risks. Weaponizing is a complicated process, thankfully outside the scope of all but the most determined people.

Other accidental exposures are far too common. Everyone knows what happens when you mix bleach and ammonia, yet they don't think about windex and bathroom cleaners.

Bottom line take proper precautions, gloves and goggles when fragging, don't barehand anything on your tank for your own protection as well as your tank inhabitants, don't drop entire rock in boiling water, and know what is in your tank
Old 06-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have two more anemone :\
So glad I bought the Aiptasia-X

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-178236711.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	181924

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-996436846.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	181923

Tags
anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com