Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-17-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Supplemental Food for Rock Blenny

I just added a Rock Blenny to my tank, partially to help control Algae. I also have 10 hermit crabs, 5 snails and 3 chromis in my 46 gallon tank that has about 40 lbs of live rock. I have a hang on skimmer and a UV filter I am using with my eheim canister filter.

He seems to be feeding fine on the algae on the rocks, but I wonder if there is enough for him to survive? How would I know if he's not getting enough algae?

Some websites say I can supplement his diet with vegetable preparations. What does that mean? Do I just drop a piece of lettuce in there? I also have some seaweed salad algae sheets, can I just hang one of those in there once in awhile?

What would you suggest?

edmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Use the Asian "Nori" seaweed. Either weigh it down with a rock or use an algae clip. Not to much at first...you want him to eat the algae growing in your tank. LOL

Happy Reefing,
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Yep, get some sheets of nori. Start with about a quarter of a sheet. I would roll it up and rubberband it to a rock instead of using a clip for the blenny.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

blenny, food, rock, supplement

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com