Supplements?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
I asked my lfs today if I needed any supplements such as iodine for my 3-shrimp or calcium for my 10-snails and he said no, the only supplement that I really must add is magnesium. Is magnesium an essential supplement to add to the aquarium? I have a 75-gallon with live rock, wet/dry filter and protein skimmer. I have 1-Regal Tang 2-Clowns and 1-Damsel. Thanks

Test for magnesium and iodine and then add if needed. Test for calcium too and add if needed; a lot of the time a large WC will bring all parameters back in line. I like kalkwasser for CA myself, my clams grow like crazy on it.

There are very few situations in the home aquarium where adding suppliments is really needed. Doing regular water changes will replenish any depleted trace and major elements and add the proper amount of buffering for most tanks. If you have a heavy LPS or SPS coral load then the addition of CA and ALK may be needed, depending on consumption. For most tanks do not waste your hard-erned money on suppliments...espcially mag. As mentioned, NEVER dose anything into the tank that you do not test for. Iodine is espceially dangerous so I would steer clear of it.

I agree with Lando, unless you have a huge coral collection that depletes the trace elements faster then you do PWCs. Personally, all that testing would drive me nuts (remember, do not dose your tank unless you have the proper test kit). I think it would be easier to do a PWC.

Back
Top Bottom