Surface agitation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
image-3129494198.jpg

May be tough to tell but does this seem like enough agitation? I'm still trying to find the right spot for my power heads, and I don't really want to sacrifice the right flow.. What's more important, flow or agitation, or are they equally important?

Benamayer said:
May be tough to tell but does this seem like enough agitation? I'm still trying to find the right spot for my power heads, and I don't really want to sacrifice the right flow.. What's more important, flow or agitation, or are they equally important?

That will suffice. The purpose of agitation is to prevent a film on the waters surface. A film will decrease gas exchange by now as the film creates a strong surface tension. By breaking the waters surface with agitation you can minimize or eliminate this film and also increasing gas exchange.

So is a little less flow around the rock worse? I have 1400 gph evo, 550 gph evo, and a 450 gph nano... Plenty of flow but the way the rocks are
set up I don't want to have dead spots. I just moved the heads around to create this agitation but in turn have less movement... Where's the happy medium?

Benamayer said:
So is a little less flow around the rock worse? I have 1400 gph evo, 550 gph evo, and a 450 gph nano... Plenty of flow but the way the rocks are
set up I don't want to have dead spots. I just moved the heads around to create this agitation but in turn have less movement... Where's the happy medium?

Usually one powerhead rolling the surface is sufficient. Something you will have to play with.

If you have a film and have algae, try scrubbing it off the teeth of your overflow. That's what happens to me whenever something clogs the teeth. I get a film because it can pass through.

Back
Top Bottom