SW Plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Telek

Aquarium Advice Regular
My FOWLR 75G tank has been running for about a month and a half now, I did the cycling thing and waited for the levels and got some nice fish and things are going great.

I do not want to get into corals right now, however I was wondering about adding some salt water plants to make things look nicer and add some green to the setup.

I see some neat plants here: Saltwater aquarium refugium , marine plants, algaes, nitrate reduction

But coming from Canada I can't find anywhere to get them. Big Al's doesn't carry any, and I can't find any other stores in my area that do.

Does anyone have any recommendations for either what to get or where to get it?

Specifically I'm from the Toronto area, so local pickup would be best, but shipping is ok too.

Alot of those macro algeas will over run your tank. They are best kept in a refugium where they are used for nutrient exportation.

Ok, any other ideas then for in-tank plants?

The only non macro algae that I can think of is seagrass though I don't think I've ever seen it sold anywhere. There are lots a few different kinds of macro algae though, shaving brush comes to mind, that are appropriate for the display.

I think liveaquaria used to sell a range of macro let me see if I can find it.

Here it is : Marine Plants: Saltwater Plants, Aquarium Marine Algae and Turtle Grass

Last edited:
I do not want to get into corals right now, however I was wondering about adding some salt water plants to make things look nicer and add some green to the setup.

I think with saltwater Plants most of it is Algae which really you would not want to put in your main system like Melosu says they are best kept in a Refuge...

Why not just start with coral? Some corals are very easy to keep with proper lighting. you can go with zoanthias, Polyps, Mushrooms all are easy to keep. JMO

Thanks, but as I mentioned I am in Canada and they don't ship outside of contiguous US.

Any idea where to get anything in Canada?

That is helpful, thanks! No plants, but good to know a Canadian online store. Anyone else have any advice on plants?

Thanks again!

Maybe we wll start with some basic corals too. We saw some at our LFS that look pretty nice and are apparently easy to take care of. Hopefully we'll be able to find some plants too.

I have shaving brush plants but they haven't done very well. I saw the yellow tang chomping at one of them once, but not habitually. Mine haven't grown and just barely stay green. I'm not sure what to do to help them thrive, but I certainly can't recommend them.

Back
Top Bottom