switching my plans from FOWLR to FO... need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guitarded

Aquarium Advice Freak
due to laws in the state of hawaii which bans LR, even if it is purchased and shipped from the mainland. i am changing my plans to setup an FOWLR to FO.

in this type of setup, should i keep the bio-balls in the wet/dry filter for biological filtration since i will not have the LR? will the "clean up crew" live OK in a FO environment?

Try making your own lr check out garf.com of get base rock and try to find some coraline from a existing tank to seed yours. Go with what you want!!!

Live rock is just base rock with the bacteria on it.

guitarded, someone just discussed this not to long ago. If you look up the laws it turns out that it isn't illegal to own lr from what I remember, it is just illegal to sell and or trade it commercially. I believe your allowed to harvest a certain amount daily youself from coral rumble, but not allowed to break or cut it.

I would take the time to look this up for yourself in black and white before coming to any conclusions, after all, we could all be wrong on the laws!!!!

HTH, Joshua...

I guess what it boils down to is how badly you want this reef tank!!!! If it were me, I'd be buying a snorkel as we speak, haha. Live sand taken from different areas a little bit at a time is really all that you need to seed tons of lava rock into being real live rock from what I understand :D

Thanks, Joshua...

according to the law, i can get fill a gallon bucket with sand per day. so your right i could be some sand and seed my tank. the only restriction is harvesting live rocks.

Making live rock

Why not just find the hirocks guy and buy some dry rock from him? Clearly he has rights to the rock, and since it's dry it's not "live". With a receipt, you are immune from prosecution, I'd think. the sand you collect would seed the rock enough to get it started.

Just my 2c, I'm a newbie, and not a lawyer.

Or.....like an earlier post said...make your own live rock. I do it all the time. Dry non-live rock will cost you about 1.50 to 2.99 a pound where I am at. I make my own for about 30 cents a pound. That is with the cost of sand and crushed coral. You have that available for free. Something to check out.

Mike

hey sparky, did you use the garf site to guide your lr construction or did you use another source?

i'm thinking about doing this myself.

Live rocks
Unlawful to take, break or damage, with any implement, any rock or coral to which marine life is visibly attached or affixed.

The way I read it is you can get some IF MARINE LIFE IS NOT VISIBLY ATTACHED OR AFFIXED.

Go find some LR ruble, shake the crabs off and bring it home. :wink:

I am not saying break the law, but this law is just to wide to actually prosecute anyone. IMO.

Back
Top Bottom