Taking the Plunge ------ Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlkng1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all :)

I had a VERY limited reef, mostly fish/inverts only set up in a 75G, about 15 yrs or so ago, but due to multiple moves, had never set it back up. Now, though my 75 is a happy FW, I have an empty 29G that is becoming increasingly unhappy at being left dry. So...I have decided to try the SW route again on a slightly smaller scale.

Here is the plan:

38 lbs Fiji live rock
Aragonite sand; the equivalent of 30 lbs or so.

Previously, I had used two canister filters, one at each end of the 75. This time, however, I am looking at the EcoSystem 60 hang on filter as it is a wet/dry system. During the live rock curing process, however, I will just use powerheads and a spare canister filter.

My light is already a dual tube in which I have a full spectrum daylight and an Actinic bulb, placed over a glass cover.

My one concern here is water quality. The tap water in my area isn't the best. I have an RO/Di unit but I have to replace the related cartridges since it has been dry for many years. In the meantime, I plan on doing the initial fill (to cure the liverock) with the store bought, "ready" ocean water. This will give me time to get the new filters for the RO unit and start trying to find the room to make water again :)

I always used Instant Ocean for the salt, however, does anyone have any other ideas/reviews/preferences on the other types of salt out there? I also haver a brackish tank, or will anyway, that will use the same supply.

Am I on the right track?

T

There is no one perfect salt. If there was we would all be using it. I use Oceanic salt mix. If you do a search you can come up with some threads on what type lights everyone uses and why.

Back
Top Bottom