Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2004, 04:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

taking the plunge? maybe? have questions first

hi
i've always wanted a saltwater tank but have been terrified that i would totally screw up. i think i've conquered my fear but i have a couple of questions. i was wondering if eclipse filtration can be used for a saltwater tank. if not what would be the quietest system available for saltwater. alot of having the aquarium hinges on the noise level...ok actually it all hinges on it b/c if my wife can hear it ...it won't be happening. i recently set up a 3 gal eclipse to test the waters so to speak & she loves it & is actually interested in the saltwater set up if it's quiet.
i know that larger is better. but i have space restrictions, how realistic is a 15- 20 gal w/ live rock & 2 clownfish & maybe a shrimp?
i'd appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Old 04-05-2004, 07:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mhaynes01
that works but make sure to cycle and get a test kit

Old 04-06-2004, 02:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

yea that sounds fun! I'd like to start something like that for maybe my my clowns.l You can use 15lb lr and a 250-300 gph ph for filtration, it should be near dead silent! then just put in a clean up crew of snails, shrimp etc.....maybe run a hob filter once in a while for carbon
Old 04-06-2004, 11:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
I'm having good success with my first SW and reef tank. It is a 20 long with 1-2" of sand for substrate, about 30-35lbs LR, 2 powerheads and a prizm skimmer. The LR and good flow are all you really need for filtration and would be the most silent. I highly recommend the skimmer for various reasons but the prizm while inexspensive is not quiet. If you don't plan on going reef then a simple PC lighting fixture would do for the LR and keep the heat and need for fans down. Also, get a good book..."The Concientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner...lots of good info in there. HTH
Old 04-06-2004, 12:00 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

20 gallons is a fine size for a tank. If all you're going to have is a couple clowns and some LR then you have a little more leniency with water quality so a lot of equipment isn't a must (but does help if you have the option).

A 20 gallon with a DSB and about 20-30 pounds of LR will do just fine without the need of a whole lot more. A couple of 100 GPH power heads to give you some turbulent water movement and thats all the "Tank" needs. You'll need some good test kits and a quality salt mix. If it's in your budget, I'd get a good light fixture. a FOWLR doesn't need a lot of light, but IMO the standard 20 watt NO bulb that comes with a basic 20 gallon tank just won't show the true beauty of the clowns or the LR. And the coraline and other fun stuff on the LR will do better with a little stronger light as well.

As long as you maintain good habits for testing and topping off the water in your tank you should do just fine and there's really not much to make any noise.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I want to thank everyone for the advice & suggestions. I spoke w/ the owner of the lfs today & she thought the eclipse would be fine for fish only but didn't recommend it for use w/ LR b/c there wouldn't be enough light. it seems like from what i read here lighting is important but the main consideration w/ LR is good water flow. which makes sense to me. all the information has been very helpful...i don't feel as overwhelmed as i did a few days ago. thanks again for all the help. you guys are so friendly.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I read your reply and when I started to read that your lfs wasn't going to recommend something, my first response was KEEP THAT LFS!

A 12 gallon JBJ nano is a quite choice as well. But if you can get a 20 gallon, go for it.

Welcome to Aq Ad (AA just doesn't seem to fit).
Old 04-09-2004, 11:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mhaynes01
i love u guys

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com