Tang question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melellaquarist

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have kept tangs in my tank for a while now. My two latest tangs are a powder blue tang and a hippo tang. I added the hippo tang first, and then the powder blue tang. I have heard that tangs usually fight each other in the same tank but these two don't even pay attention to each other.I guessed it was the size difference since the hippo is almost 2 inches and the pb is almost 6. My question is will i have future fighting problems when their sizes are more similar, or will they be used to each other by then? Any advice is helpful:D
~Thanks in advance

You`ll probably be OK as those two tangs have different body shapes and wont scrap too much unless they are in a small tank and then they become territorial.

Idk about the whole 6ft thing, but your aquarium shouldnt be less than 70G if you plan to keep tangs. They need swimming room, people dont realize that these fish LOVE to swim. Thats why you see threads all over the place here saying how their tangs are so quick and unpredictable. Its because they can swim really well and easily pick up speed. 70G is the "smallest" i would ever go if i wanted a tang. I know people who keep more than one tang in 50 gallons, sometimes less, and thats when the ich breakout occurs and kills off their tank inhabitants.. sucks, but as a very wise person once said.. "The stupid shall be punished."

Well my tank is 75 gallon and all my fish except for my pbt, hippo tang and lemon butterfly fish only get up to 4 inches max, and the tank is 4ft. Is this too small, don't get me wrong i did my research on every fish and didn't buy anything on impulse, but again should any problems occur?

I've heard anything less than 6ft long is kinda small for a tang.

Seems as though every internet source has a different opinion on this.

On one reef site the forum members say 55-gallon minimum for a tang, on another the 'tang police' seem to all agree with a minimum 4' swim length regardless of gallons, and another they say 100-gallons no less to house a tang.

And then one of the popular nano-tanks readily available on the market (29-gallons I believe) shows a fully loaded aquarium on the box including a yellow tang - sure that's just package advertising but it is deceptive.

I have kept tangs in my tank for a while now. My two latest tangs are a powder blue tang and a hippo tang.
A 75 is too small for either of those fish alone, let alone both together. A PBT is a very mean fish and the hippo gets way to big.
What other tangs did you have and how long did they last?

Tangs are medium to large, active fish that need plenty of space. On the question of tank sizes, we defer to Scott W. Michael, who recommends the following minimum sizes in Marine Fishes, 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species, Microcosm Ltd., 1999:

1. Acanthurus achilles, Achilles Surgeonfish, 100 gal (380l).
  2. Acanthurus coeruleus, Atlantic Blue Tang, 75 gal (285l).
  3. Acanthurus japonicus, Powder Brown Tang, 75 gal (285l).
  4. Acanthurus leucosternon, Powder Blue Tang, 100 gal (380l).
  5. Acanthurus lineatus, Lined or Clown Surgeonfish, 180 gal (680l).
  6. Acanthurus nigricans, Whitecheek Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
  7. Acanthurus olivaceus, Orangeshoulder Surgeonfish, 135 gal (510l).
  8. Acanthurus pyroferus, Mimic Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
  9. Acanthurus sohal, Sohal Surgeonfish, 180 gal (680l).
  10. Acanthurus tristegus, Convict Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
  11. Acanthurus tristis, Indian Mimic Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
  12. Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis, Chevron Tang, 100 gal (380l).
  13. Ctenochaetus strigosus, Kole's Tang, 75 gal (285l).
  14. Naso brevirostris, Spotted Unicornfish, 180 gal (685l).
  15. Naso lituratus, Orangespine Unicornfish or Naso Tang, 135 gal (510l).
  16. Naso unicornis, Bluespine Unicornfish, 200 gal (760l).
  17. Paracanthurus hepatus, Pacific Blue Tang, 100 gal (380l).
  18. Zebrasoma desjardinii, Indian Ocean or Red Sea Sailfin Tang, 135 gal (510l).
  19. Zebrasoma flavescens, Yellow Tang, 75 gal (285l).
  20. Zebrasoma scopas, Brown Tang, 75 gal (285l).
  21. Zebrasoma veliferum, Sailfin Tang, 135 gal (510l).
  22. Zebrasoma xanthurum, Purple Tang, 100 gal (380l).

Last edited:
A 75 is too small for either of those fish alone, let alone both together. A PBT is a very mean fish and the hippo gets way to big.
What other tangs did you have and how long did they last?

Well to begin with the pbt is only mean to other fish of its genus, which is why I asked the question of would the two fight later since they are not fighting now. Now when you say the "hippo tang gets way to big" you are probably referring to the 12 inches they can reach in the wild. In an aquarium the hippo tang rarely peaks 8. For all you people who have had a tang get larger, great but I know from research and experience that they stay under 8 in a home aquarium. With tangs the length of the tank is more convenient than width, and I have seen plenty of 4 ft long 100 gallon tanks. Thank you for telling me things I already read up on, but as I said before my question is will these two tangs fight in the future. Please I do not want to get into a debate over tangs, I just want an answer to my question.

The answer to your question is YES, the reason is what ccC already stated.

I guess ccC just missed using the word YES

'Any advice is helpful:grin:' is exactly what you got , and what you asked for

Ok thank you. I didn't mean to come off offensive if anyone took it that way. Your right I did ask for any advice, I guess i just didn't want to hear it, but I will take it and try to decide what is best for my tank.

I agree with Larry and captain. It might not be what you want to hear but we are obligated to tell you our true experience and knowledge. Tangs need plenty of swimming room but the smaller tanks dont stunt the growth but they do stunt their health. That is why we care.

Thank you once again. I never thought my tank was small since I've read that you can keep tangs in a 75 gallon tank. I would love to be able to put my tangs in a large tank but money doesn't grow off trees haha. If I notice any problems with their health, since they seem happy at the moment, I will take action and do whats best for them. Thank you very much for the advice:)

Back
Top Bottom