Tangs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I plan on adding my fish extreme melt slow. The angelfish will be added last and the aquarium will probably be a year old by the time he is added

Okay I will probably go with the yellow tang until he outgrows the tank. Is it true a cleaner shrimp help keep ich under control.
I also would like to know that if I bought the tang from petco, will they take it back when it gets to large thanks.
Cleaner shimp will not help with ich. The ich is attached under the fishes skin where the shimp can't get to it.

False lemonpeels are the same coloration jsut lacking the blue ring around the eyes. and id say they are moderate to care for. angels have a very particular dietary need, so long as thats met, they will do quite fine. To Craig, i apologize if i came off a bit harsh, it wasnt my intention to aim that at you. my concern is that with this hobby, especially SW, ive noticed that its fairly easy to have a horrid experience, especially in the first 6 months- year. that being said, i feel as though we should take every single step to set ourselves up for success, and also keep the inhabitants long-term health in mind. and as bribo mentioned, more often than not, our "upgrade" intentions get put off due to unforeseen events.

Lemonpeels for sure have the blue lol

I've never dealt with petco, I have a big Al's near home who will take back any fish as long as it is healthy and give you a store credit for the fish.

As for the cleaner shrimp I have not personally heard of it helping with ich but doesn't mean it's not true. My yellow tang loves the cleaner shrimp though and I often see the cleaner shrimp hanging off of it. I've read this is pretty common between yellow tangs and cleaner shrimp.

If you don't have one I would definitely recommend getting one if nothing more than entertainment. I have one and its my favorite this far and I want to get another. Lots of personality, the fish love it for its cleaning abilities and he even hops onto my hand every time it's in the tank. A must have in my opinion.

What cleaner specifically do you have?
I want to get one, but am worried my moorish idol will think he's a fancy feast!

bribo im confused lol. Lemonpeels have the blue ring around their eyes, false lemonpeels dont. correct?

Agree with bribo and huma on the tangs, heres a pic of my old lemon peel, ate 2 of my maze brains so he had to go!

image-3914004235.jpg

image-1517638879.jpg

Very colorfull fish, now ive got a flame for my 37

image-2229841662.jpg (excuse the bubbles that look like ich or somthing lol)

False lemonpeels are the same coloration jsut lacking the blue ring around the eyes. and id say they are moderate to care for. angels have a very particular dietary need, so long as thats met, they will do quite fine. To Craig, i apologize if i came off a bit harsh, it wasnt my intention to aim that at you. my concern is that with this hobby, especially SW, ive noticed that its fairly easy to have a horrid experience, especially in the first 6 months- year. that being said, i feel as though we should take every single step to set ourselves up for success, and also keep the inhabitants long-term health in mind. and as bribo mentioned, more often than not, our "upgrade" intentions get put off due to unforeseen events.

Huma-Huma, no worries, I understand your points and completely understand not wanting to see someone end up with a stressed fish by something that could be avoided. It definitely takes a special kind of person to really succeed with an aquarium :)

Huma-Huma, no worries, I understand your points and completely understand not wanting to see someone end up with a stressed fish by something that could be avoided. It definitely takes a special kind of person to really succeed with an aquarium :)

Yes agreed, but very rewarding when everything is in check! Will look in to that type of shrimp

As a new aquarist, don't set yourself up for disappointment. Killing fish is what many times causes folks to give this hobby up. Start with easy fish for the smaller tank (under 100 gallons), not tangs, or puffers or butterfly fish at first. Being in a hurry guarantees failure in this hobby. Cramming most types of tangs into small tanks rarely works, look at the sick fish postings on this forum over the years, there are hundreds (maybe thousands) of them involving tang issues. Blennies, wrasses, some angels, the list is enormous of fish that will live out their lifespans in your tank. Save buying the tangs for when you get a bigger system. JMO

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom