Tangs for a 110

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper92

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know most tangs require a longer tank, approx. 6 feet i believe? I was curious if there was a tang possible to keep in a 110? If not other fish ideas are welcome :)

Yes, smaller tangs like Kole Tangs and Tomini Tangs can be kept in that sized tank. I believe that Bristletooth can be also. :)

redsea said:
Yes, smaller tangs like Kole Tangs and Tomini Tangs can be kept in that sized tank. I believe that Bristletooth can be also. :)

Cant a yellow tang be put in a 110?

Cant a yellow tang be put in a 110?

That is a difficult question, lol. Some will says yes, and some will say no. For example, I have heard people say that a Yellow requires a 90g, while others say that they need a 125g. :)

I do like the yellows, that was my first want as a tang. I'll have to look for the smaller ones my area doesnt get a great variety. I've heard a few arguments over the tank size, i feel a yellow can live in a 4 foot long tank

If this is a 110 XH, the footprint is the same as a 75 or 90... I would be inclined to follow the generally accepted guidelines for stocking smaller tangs in those tanks. JMO.

2 feet is a HUGE difference. Im getting the tank wednesday i have a picture from the craigslist add, would that help a little?

Yeah, I think it might help. I'd like to see the ad if you don't mind.

I've seen many different tangs thrive in tanks 75g and above, you will be fine putting a tang IMO. 6ft is recommended but in reality slot of tangs can live for many years in a 110, just buy a smaller tang. Just watch the bioload.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a very valid point. Honestly i really just want a yellow tang, they have great color, and make a great addition to watch, at least to me. If anything i'll watch it and if things go wrong i'll take it back to the LFS.

While its on the brain, how would a coral beauty or rusty angel do in a tank with a yellow tang?

My yellow tang bullied a bicolor angel to death but I think it's due mainly because they were both yellow. I think those angels would fare against the tang, especially if put in at the same time.

Theres another problem in its own, i dont want to risk any illness in my tank so it would have to be the tang and angel in a small QT tank. If i had to introduce them at seperate times which should go first?

IMO you will be OK with a Yellow eyed Kole tang and a yellow tang. They should get along fine because of different body shapes and colors. JMO

Theres another problem in its own, i dont want to risk any illness in my tank so it would have to be the tang and angel in a small QT tank. If i had to introduce them at seperate times which should go first?

I would add the angel last being that more aggressive fish should be always added last. Also be cautious is you are going to add corals such as frogspawn, i have had problems in the past with bicolors destroying them overnight. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom