tank cleaning..how do i get the

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigford84

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi i would like to know how you would get the white skumy stuff off the glass here is a pic it kinda goes away when the tank if full, but is still ugly. iv scrubed it with a very good scrubber but didnt work.. someone told me to use c l r to get it off but im not sure of that

Have you tried vinegar?? I hope you didn't scratch the glass up with the scrubber, i know I've made that mistake. (and i have no idea if clr is safe or not)

I've had that on my tank, I think it's from sand. I just take a strong papertowel and scrub it off, it takes a long time and makes a mess, but that's the only way I've managed to get it off. Make sure your tank is filled up, or else it doesn't work very well. Hope it works

If it was me I would clean it with a bucket of water with 2 or 3 capfuls of bleach. Wash it with that and rinse real well and then let it air dry. Letting it air dry should do the job but for good measure when you fill it up put some dechlorinator in it and let it run for a day or two. I`ve done this many a time.

I think the vinegar will be the easiest method. I'm new to saltwater tanks but water stains I've dealt with before. CLR does work but I don't know how well it rinses out.

ok i used safe and easy,,a product from jungle just for this problem,and vinagar.. nothing worked all the way.. i guess its on there for life.. it doesnt look so bad with a full tank,so i can deal with it... thanks for all the help guys

I have one last suggestion if the dirty glass really bothers you ; "Bar Keepers Friend". You can get it at the supermarket. I use it for my stainless steel pots and pans; I've also used it to remove fine scratches and hazing from an arcrylic tank. And as with everything else, rinse thoroughly.

The razor blade will work best. Scrubbing glass with anything hard enough will scratch it. Any kind of cleaners will need to soak for a long time and it would still need to be scrubbed. A razor blade with patience is the only way to go. Then use bleach.

Back
Top Bottom