Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2009, 04:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to R6Chick Send a message via AIM to R6Chick Send a message via MSN to R6Chick Send a message via Yahoo to R6Chick
Tank Cycling

Has anyone had experience with SuperBac Nitrifying Bacteria?
http://www.naturbac.com/nbhome.html

Naturally the LFS says it works but I am always skeptical of short cuts. I did speak to a customer who swears by it but one experience is not enough to sway my skepticism. So here I am looking for the opinions and experiences of others.

Thx - Julz

=============================
60 x 18 x 24 Acrylic
120 gal
Oceanic Systems Sump Model 2 RR
PSK-150 Protein Skimmer
2 x 300w heaters
2 x OTB over flows
Mag 12 pump
120 pounds of medium grain sand
Assembly to take place next weekend
Sand & water goes in the following weekend & the wait begins for the tank to cycle
Then live rock & fish!

Old 04-04-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`ve never used it before but I`m a little skeptical of these quick solutions. That`s just me though.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree, a raw, unseasoned jumbo shrimp is probably a lot cheaper....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yes, that stuff works. I live in the Bay Area too and got it from King Aquarium. They swear by it also. My days of looking at an empty aquarium for weeks have been over a few years now. I can't imagine why anyone would choose to go through that headache anymore when it's completely unnecessary.

I don't understand, what do you mean by "short cut"?
Old 04-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

My suggestion would be to go this route.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ank/Page1.html

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to R6Chick Send a message via AIM to R6Chick Send a message via MSN to R6Chick Send a message via Yahoo to R6Chick
Quote:
Originally Posted by mako7171 View Post
Yes, that stuff works. I live in the Bay Area too and got it from King Aquarium. They swear by it also. My days of looking at an empty aquarium for weeks have been over a few years now. I can't imagine why anyone would choose to go through that headache anymore when it's completely unnecessary.
I also live in the Bay Area and King Aquarium is who said the stuff was great. I have not built a relationship with any aquarium yet, still getting to know them. Since they are in the business of making money I don't just follow what they tell me like it is the law. So far though I am fond of King Aquarium and The Aquarium Showroom. What is your experience with LFS and who do you like?

Quote:
I don't understand, what do you mean by "short cut"?
I my case I was using shortcut as an noun by the definitions below. While shortcuts are often available for many things it is not always the best way. In the case of aquariums, I have often found that taking shortcuts are not always a good idea.
short-cut

 /ˈʃɔrtˌkʌt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [shawrt-kuht] Show IPA verb, -cut, -cut⋅ting. –verb (used with object) 1. to cause to be shortened by the use of a shortcut.
–verb (used without object) 2. to use or take a shortcut.
–noun 1. a shorter or quicker way. 2. a method, procedure, policy, etc., that reduces the time or energy needed to accomplish something.
–adjective 3. constituting or providing a shorter or quicker way: shortcut methods.

Thx - Julz
Old 04-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
My suggestion would be to go this route.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ank/Page1.html

That's my plan. I was just curious about that stuff. Nothing like that was around back in the day when I had my eight tanks. In fact, a lot of the technology has changed and I am having to learn a lot of new things.

Thx - Julz
Old 04-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6Chick View Post
I my case I was using shortcut as an noun by the definitions below. While shortcuts are often available for many things it is not always the best way. In the case of aquariums, I have often found that taking shortcuts are not always a good idea.
short-cut
Ohhhh silly girl, I think you know I was asking about the context in which you meant "short cut". I've never met one human being that doesn't know the definition.

I was only asking because the entire aquarium experience is a short cut. You buy salt in a bag, put in rock, buy fish who are already born and alive, buy pre-processed food. I just don't understand why it's better to start with 2 bacteria cells when you could start with a few million of the same cells. To me, that is far superior method. If one were to get a more quality cycle the "long way" I could see, but you don't. It's the same cycle as the fast way. This bacteria is great and you should view it as a tool for efficiency rather than a short cut for the impatient. By-passing lots of potential problems is "efficiency".

I like King Aquarium in the Bay Area (I'm closest to them). I also go to Vallejo Aquarium for certain selections, and Aquarium Concepts in Dublin. Been to Aquarium Showroom once and it was pretty cool, but not too familiar with them as of yet.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Ohhhh silly girl.
Wow! I have not been called a "girl" in over 20 years. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6Chick View Post
Wow! I have not been called a "girl" in over 20 years. Thank you!
*tips hat*

Tags
cycling, tan, tank cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com