Tank exploded, help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chriszzo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok so my 40 gal tank didnt explode but there is a nice big chunk of glass missing and sw all over my basement, i was at work when it happened so i have no clue how it happened... anyway in rush to save what was left i had put the live rock in a bucket of RO water which has been sitting for days, finally i had time to take care of it and man it smells bad... im assuming i need to cure the LR now? what do i need to do?

sorry to hear that...i think its normal SW smell very bad...LOL
since u already put the LR in RO water, there will be organisms die off...curing it back is the best practices...IMO, scrub the surface and place it in bucket with SW...but if u restart back your tank, u might put it in there and start back the water cycle.....

Sorry to hear about your tank. You will have to recure your LR again before you use it. By placing it in RO water, you essentially gave it a very long fresh water bath and most SW life cannot live through that. Your best bet would be to get a Brute trashcan, fill it up with fresh SW, throw in a heater, a powerhead and your live rock and let the curing begin.

Thanks chuck, thats basically what i did today i got a 30gal tank and put everthing in it, now i just need to wait... is there anything else i need to do and how long do you think this will take...?

if u already put all the stuff in 30gal tank, why dont u do from the beginning..?? start cycle back the tank.....

thats basically what i am i doing i guess, all my rock was cured when i bought it so i never delt with this before, i just started sw 3 months ago, tank was runnin great never even seen it cycle... just want to make sure i do this right..

okay...from your story...u have LR put in RO water for days, then your LR might not be cured anymore....so u have to start from the beginning on how to do water cycle...im sure u knew about it coz u had started this tank 3 month ago....if u are not so sure how to cycle, there is article from this site talking about it....

Back
Top Bottom