Tank getting really hot.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scouser

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, I've recently added an orange spotted goby to my tank (already have 2 occ clowns), and with it, a condensation tray to prevent it jumping out (it's made several attempts already -_-)

I have my tank at a steady 77, but since adding the tray it's been climbing steadily and now it's breaking 80.

I'm worried the extra heat and lack of an open top will lower the oxygen levels dramatically.

I've drilled holes in the tray to vent some of the heat.

Will this be enough to stop the fish suffocating?

Bulk reef supply has a nice DIY kit with mesh, sides, and corners for pretty short money. Def worth it.

Ok so I checked my heater and it was jammed on!

I've swapped it out for a 100w heater which should do the trick for now.

I've not seen any screen tops in the UK, do you have any links?

You can buy the screen frames at a home improvement store along with the rubber spline. the get plastic netting or screening usually sold by the roll and use that. Just make sure there is adequate spacing in the screen or netting so that fish cant fit through. You also dont want metal mesh of course, not too sure about fiberglass over water, maybe if thats all thats available where you are you can post again here and see if its okay. I used plastic screening that I got from bulk reef supply which I dont think ships overseas. BUT if you call them they might do it since the netting is so light and small.
Just a thought.

My goby got out!!

I have a slit cut into the back for my wires (0.5cm deep and 5cm long) and he managed to Juno out!

I saw him jump and managed to get him back in the water!

This isn't a good day!!!

It wasn't meant to be a bad comment... I'm sorry if you took it that way. But they may have been trying to escape the heat. Or how are your parameters?

It wasn't meant to be a bad comment... I'm sorry if you took it that way. But they may have been trying to escape the heat. Or how are your parameters?
My parameters are fine. Ammo 0 TrItes 0 Trates 5-10ppm Ph is still being tested but it has been stable since I set the tank up. The 2 clowns arent acting weird. The bag I got the goby in has a sticker that says "KKC 29.11.13" Any ideas?

Fish see the holes in your cover and aim for them. If you have holes in your cover larger than the fish, they will get out.

You can buy the screen frames at a home improvement store along with the rubber spline. the get plastic netting or screening usually sold by the roll and use that. Just make sure there is adequate spacing in the screen or netting so that fish cant fit through. You also dont want metal mesh of course, not too sure about fiberglass over water, maybe if thats all thats available where you are you can post again here and see if its okay. I used plastic screening that I got from bulk reef supply which I dont think ships overseas. BUT if you call them they might do it since the netting is so light and small. Just a thought.
+1. Follow this advice. It cost under $30 bucks to make 3 screen lids for my 125. So under $10 a screen.
Also I used fiberglass on mine, no issues yet

Back
Top Bottom