Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank is changing need help!!

Ok so I took my second water test and I got Nitrate:160, Nitrite:1, Alk.:180, PH:8.0-- so I did about a 50% water change and cleaned almost all the algae off the glass, my temp stays btwn 78-81 or 82 degrees, and I've noticed even before the test that my Starfish were disappearing! I cant find many of them and I think they are dying off, My Nessarius snail died 1-2 days ago and I can't find any of my other snails, and the whole tank looks like its got a kind of mist in it. Can someone please tell me whats going on here??? is my LR gonna die too?

The only things (visibly) living are the hermits...

Thanks for any and all comments/advice/suggestions

-Brett

Old 11-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
Sliced Bread

I'd guess it's because your nitrite is elevated above 0, as well as if that's a real reading on your nitrAte, that's extremely high.

You need to keep ammonia and nitrIte at 0.0 at all times, and your nitrAtes below 20.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Im doing it off of test strips, its all I can afford right now, and it doesnt test for ammonia, and on the packaging it basically says its for fresh water, is there a diff. in chemical lvls btwn FW and SW? B/c I thought the only diff. was that for SW you had to keep a closer eye on things. So do the lvls differ.???
Old 11-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Sliced Bread

They do differ, you need to get a SW test kit. I highly recommend the API master test kits. They're a little bit pricey, but not horrible, and the chemical test kits are much more accurate than test strips. If it's still too much money, then get a SW ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte test kit at a minimum.

Another thing you can do is take a water sample to your LFS. Most LFSs will test your water for you for free.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah ok cool um, can I get these at petsmart or petco? And also is an API master test kit re-usable? or is it strips... also, do I need a refractometer? and does a refractometer test all these things?
Old 11-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also, is there anything else wrong besides the chemicals? if you need to you can look at my pics on my prof. maybe that will help, of course it doesnt look EXACTLY like that now, missing just about all life lol
Old 11-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
Sliced Bread

Yes, petsmart/petco will carry these. They run about $25 IIRC. If you don't have a refractometer or a hygrometer, you'll need one of those as well. They measure the salinity of the water (salt content). I assumed you had one already. How else do you know how much salt to add in the water?
Old 11-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingman8610 View Post
...My Nessarius snail died 1-2 days ago and I can't find any of my other snails, and the whole tank looks like its got a kind of mist in it. Can someone please tell me whats going on here??? is my LR gonna die too?...
From the numbers you posted a week ago, I mentioned it looked like your tank was cycling then. With your nitrites now even higher, sure sounds like a cycle to me. Ammonia levels would confirm that. Hazy water implies a bacterial bloom, which also will occur during a cycle.

So I'm curious how you feed the hermits. I mean... the bioload for this tank is nearly non-existent since it only contains crabs. So it's not like the ammonia is coming from your crabs - it must be coming from the uneaten food you're supplying them. Not being familiar with keeping just crabs without fish, I'm not sure how you go about feeding them. Just a guess, but I'd say the cycle is coming from an overabundance of food that is just lying around, fouling up your tank.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilanh View Post
Yes, petsmart/petco will carry these. They run about $25 IIRC. If you don't have a refractometer or a hygrometer, you'll need one of those as well. They measure the salinity of the water (salt content). I assumed you had one already. How else do you know how much salt to add in the water?
To be honest? I look at the salt deposit left after evaporation lol and I just use visual common sense IE I look at the activity of my hermits

No all I have is the test strips I said about, the SG I just use visual confirmation: it actually works well seeing how I've had it tested for it and it was fine
Old 11-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
From the numbers you posted a week ago, I mentioned it looked like your tank was cycling then. With your nitrites now even higher, sure sounds like a cycle to me. Ammonia levels would confirm that. Hazy water implies a bacterial bloom, which also will occur during a cycle.

So I'm curious how you feed the hermits. I mean... the bioload for this tank is nearly non-existent since it only contains crabs. So it's not like the ammonia is coming from your crabs - it must be coming from the uneaten food you're supplying them. Not being familiar with keeping just crabs without fish, I'm not sure how you go about feeding them. Just a guess, but I'd say the cycle is coming from an overabundance of food that is just lying around, fouling up your tank.
Ok, kurt, I feed the hermits with either water-logged krill or onewhole headless jumbo shrimp. then I also HAD 75-100 Astrea Starfish and 3-4 unID Starfish plus the other snail and several (I'm guessing)--Astrea Snaills, and 1 Nessarius snail, plus w/e is in the LR, is that not enough bio-load for a 10g tank?? I am still trying to figure Sh*t out srry I'm so upset about losing things... (sigh) ok so What creates/makes a cycle occur? I've hda this tank for abot 3-5 months.. iwhy would it cycle again???

Tags
changing, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com