Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank Journal - 225 SW FOWLR, Possible future reef

I can't believe it's another screwed-up tank thread! Yes, that's right, my knack for zeroing in on completely screwed up saltwater tanks has led me to a 225 Acrylic FOWLR tank in a Japanese Steakhouse - you know, one of those where they make everything in front of you on the grill and put on a show?

A former local pet store employee told me about this tank, and he moved out of town recently, so I decided to hit them up. This tank looked fine when I walked in, except that here is only a 4-5" round Yellow Tang in it. After a brief conversation with the owner, I found out that there used to be more fish, and they all died. Red flag #1. He also said that they had taken all the rocks out and scrubbed the 'red growth' off of them just recently. Red flag #2.

I poked around the system, it have plenty of flow from 2 exterior pumps and 2 large powerheads, has a decent skimmer in a large acrylic sump (40g maybe) which was packed with bio-balls. Not very much lighting, 2 x 18" Coralife strips, just enough for show.

I put in a digital thermometer while I took a water sample and was shocked. 65.5 F. When I got home and tested the water, I was not surprised to find that I had to dilute the water sample 20 to 1 just to get a reading for Nitrates - putting those between 600 and 800 ppm - and 10 to 1 dilution for Phosphates - putting those between 8 and 10, roughly. KH was 4.5, pH was 7.9, Salinity 31. That was 2/26.

So I prepared a report, turned it in, and went back in a couple days ago to finally meet with the guy who had been maintaining the tank (an employee) for the last 2 years. He was just about to do his maintenance, which included topping off with RO water from the grocery store (good!) and cleaning the algae off the interior with a long handle tool with a swiffer-like head, which worked pretty well. The problem is this: that's all he has done in 2 years. When I asked him when that last time was that he did a water change, he looked at me kind of funny. I explained that you have to remove water and put in new saltwater every 2 weeks, 4 max, and he then confessed that he didn't know you had to do that.

Suddenly, everything became very clear.

So he signed on to a total tear down. I'm going to QT the Yellow Tang at my house for probably a week. I'm going to start the tear-down likely on Sunday morning, take everything apart, bring the fish and LR home, QT the fish, clean the LR (probably with bleach to kill the cyano, I've learned my lesson) salvage the bio-ball bio community so I don't have to cycle the tank, clean the pumps, sump, skimmer, replace all the return tubing, reassemble the tank, and fill-er up. I'm going to throw out the 3" of substrate (SINCE THEY'VE NEVER VACUUMED IT) and replace with a thin layer of Aragonite gravel (I would do sand, but I think it'll just blow around) and put a few heaters in the sump.

I've been running my RODI day and night. I'm running out of buckets. I've got 22, but 6 are in use for one reason or another, which leaves me with 80g in buckets right now, and 2 x 44g BRUTE cans 1/3 full each, so I have to go get MORE buckets. I need 250g by Sunday. I get about 80-90/day out of it, so I should be fine, and in a pinch, there's Wal-Mart Culligan water.

It's gonna be fun. He's paying me 1/2 cash 1/2 gift cards. $300+ in gift cards will last about 3 meals for the family in that place though. I think we'll take the kids there ones, then go in just the 2 of us and have a bunch of saki-bombs.

Pics and status over the weekend. Enjoy!!!

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
is back to save the day!

Japanese Steakhouse = Hibachi. I think that was the word you were looking for..

Dang.. 600-800ppm of nitrates. That honestly sounds brutal. I'll tag along and see how this all goes down. Good Luck!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Japanese Steakhouse = Hibachi. I think that was the word you were looking for..
Thank you! Yes that's it. When I think of a Hibachi, I always think of something we had when I was growing up, like a mini-grill, only about 18" long...
Old 03-25-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Can't wait to see pics and update And hopefully no one orders sushi in front of the fish
Old 03-26-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
is back to save the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
Thank you! Yes that's it. When I think of a Hibachi, I always think of something we had when I was growing up, like a mini-grill, only about 18" long...
Hahaha.. well glad i could bring my japanese steakhouse expertise to the table. :p
Old 03-26-2010, 02:00 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ouch. You have a knack for finding the most screwed up tank you can Floyd. Let's hope you can work more miracles.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you do this as a business? Or just kind of a word of mouth.."your tanks messed up? Well I know this guy who can help"...
Old 03-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I haven't actively marketed, I just come across potential customers. I was looking for a job and went to a headhunter office and they had a 100g that was in horrible shape, but weren't interested in my services. My first 2 customers were a Chinese restaurant that I frequent and a dentist whom I purchased a tank from, so it just kind of happened. I have lines on a couple of others too, but one big job at a time...
Old 03-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

First day - in a word, exhausting

Ok, so due to a few miscommunications, I did not get as much done. In short, I emptied the tank, removed all hoses, drained the sump and 'harvested' the LR and bio-balls best I could. I took everything but the DT and the lights home and scrubbed. I took 35 gallons of water and both fish (yes, I found another, a clown, but he was lying on his side - doing better) home and set them up in my 37 temp QT tank. Here's a set of pics

Before:

Old 03-28-2010, 10:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

And now...

And the LR after a scrub-a-dub-dub

The fish have had their first 10% PWC in 2 years, which perked the clown up right away.

The LR I soaked in FW/prime in the tub to keep it from dying off, then scrubbed the surface and refilled/prime. Hopefully the salinity change won't kill it off. Tell me if I screwed the pooch. Gotta bleach spray it and rinse tomorrow so I'm sure it really doesn't matter that much.

I have about a 5g bucket of bio-balls that wouldn't fit in the tank. I figure saving 2/3 of them was good enough to maintain the bio colony.

'Nuff

Tags
fowlr, journal, reef, sw fowlr, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com