Tank mate for clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaycapz

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is a super general question about fish compatibility. I have done some homework, but I just like to seek some second opinions.

So, I have a 2 year established tank, 35 gallons. Nothing special, just several pounds of live rock. I started with 2 oscellaris clowns. Both got sick from brooklynella, I was able to save one. He has been dubbed rocky since the ordeal lol. Ok, so since then I have been very very hesitant to buy anything new. Being new to the game. I got this little clown with 35 gallons all on his own. I think its time to get back in there and get a couple of friends for him. Understanding clowns can be aggressive, and I will say this little guy is super active (but of course on his own).

So here it goes, I am looking for options for tank mates for him. I debated on another clown, understanding they do well in pairs. I dont plan to exceed a total of 4-5 fish in the tank. I'd like to stick with fish that max size is 3-4" for obvious reasons. Not to say I am lazy, but looking for average care needed. The less aggressive the better.

Sorry this post is so long, but I am being super careful after my first go around. I feel somewhat attached this little guy now, a year and half going strong and healthy.

Looking forward to all of your suggestions!

Thank you in advance. :fish1:

OH ONE MORE THING! I need to get a couple of critters to control algae. I thought I might figure that after, but feel free to make recommendations. I would appreciate that as well.

Don't use critters to control algae. Minimal feedings with weekly water changes with ro/di water will control algae. There are two articles about algae control from our articles section in my signature that can help with that.
In terms of other fish, you can add another clown if the one you are adding is smaller than the current. This way it will be a tad easier for them to establish who will turn into the male and possibly less aggression.
Other than that, as long as they are size appropriate for your tank it would be up to you what you would be putting in there. I always point people to the nano section of liveaquaria.com to help with such.

A watchman goby could hold its own agains a clown for sure. It would add some activity in the bottom area of the tank

Thanks so far for the recommendations!

Sniper - Definately wasnt going to use critters as the be all end all for algae, just thought it would be nice to have some support in the tank. I have been trying to maintain the purple algae (cyano?), I know most like it for its decorative look but, it at times can be a real pain. So really more for bottom dwellers who'll care for glass and sand. As for clown, yea I will definately get him/her a mate.

FWFish - Not a bad idea, I was actually thinking of a watchman or a blenny?

What you guys think about a dragonette? Difficult in upkeep? I have read they are not to aggressive, I really like the look of them.

A dragonette would do fine in your tank, but they are picky eaters, and may only eat live food like copepods and brine shrimp. Some will accept frozen and flake, but it isn't too common.

In my experience, A dragonet most likely will not do fine in a 35 gallon tank. Odds are better that it will starve to death. Very few end up eating prepared foods, and feeding them live food will be more expense than you will want to deal with. I've never seen a dragonet eat brine shrimp. Especially with a mouth that is smaller than adult brine. It may eat the juveniles, but generally they eat copepods. These are hardly visible to the naked eye. An adult mandarin can eat hundreds and possibly thousands of pods in a day. They don't eat free swimming creatures. They eat crawling creatures. They pick off the rock and not catch food floating by.

In my experience, A dragonet most likely will not do fine in a 35 gallon tank. Odds are better that it will starve to death. Very few end up eating prepared foods, and feeding them live food will be more expense than you will want to deal with. I've never seen a dragonet eat brine shrimp. Especially with a mouth that is smaller than adult brine. It may eat the juveniles, but generally they eat copepods. These are hardly visible to the naked eye. An adult mandarin can eat hundreds and possibly thousands of pods in a day. They don't eat free swimming creatures. They eat crawling creatures. They pick off the rock and not catch food floating by.

I thought they ate bbs, I guess due to their mouth shape it wouldn't make sense. With enough pods, as mr x said, it could be possible but it would be a hassle

I'd personally never keep a dragonette again. I was adding 1-2k pods into my 55 reef every month. This was on top of the fact that it was also eating frozen mysis. It was way too expensive to maintain only to see it starve to death after just over a year.
In terms of cyanobacteria, there isn't anything that will eat it. It is a nutrient issue in the water column that needs to be addressed.

I had no idea drags were that hard to keep. Guess we all Lear. Something new every day! After hearing what sniper and mr x said, I would probably stay away from dragonettes.

No drags pls. You can consider one anemone for the clown to host.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What you guys think about a coral beauty? Someone at the fish store recommended them as a good tank mate. I am concerned about size though, i know they can get to 4"+.

At first (still being somewhat new to this game) thought the cyano was red coralline algae. I guess after looking into it, its the bad stuff. I planned to take each rock out and shake it off in a pale of old tank water, you think that will do fine to start the cleansing? I am planning to address the water issue as well.

Thanks for all your tips.

I got 2 demsel and 1of them is about an inch is bullying my foxfaCE who is like 5 times it size in my tank. I trying to catch them and leav3 them with my anemone tank.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How about a second clown? Some other gobie that is a bit easier to keep? Are you looking for a free swimmer or would you mind a fish that likes to perch? I always liked Flame hawkfish. They have been known to pick off shrimp, but they are cool looking and have interesting personality.

Back
Top Bottom