Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2015, 05:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tank mate for clown

This is a super general question about fish compatibility. I have done some homework, but I just like to seek some second opinions.

So, I have a 2 year established tank, 35 gallons. Nothing special, just several pounds of live rock. I started with 2 oscellaris clowns. Both got sick from brooklynella, I was able to save one. He has been dubbed rocky since the ordeal lol. Ok, so since then I have been very very hesitant to buy anything new. Being new to the game. I got this little clown with 35 gallons all on his own. I think its time to get back in there and get a couple of friends for him. Understanding clowns can be aggressive, and I will say this little guy is super active (but of course on his own).

So here it goes, I am looking for options for tank mates for him. I debated on another clown, understanding they do well in pairs. I dont plan to exceed a total of 4-5 fish in the tank. I'd like to stick with fish that max size is 3-4" for obvious reasons. Not to say I am lazy, but looking for average care needed. The less aggressive the better.

Sorry this post is so long, but I am being super careful after my first go around. I feel somewhat attached this little guy now, a year and half going strong and healthy.

Looking forward to all of your suggestions!

Thank you in advance.

OH ONE MORE THING! I need to get a couple of critters to control algae. I thought I might figure that after, but feel free to make recommendations. I would appreciate that as well.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Don't use critters to control algae. Minimal feedings with weekly water changes with ro/di water will control algae. There are two articles about algae control from our articles section in my signature that can help with that.
In terms of other fish, you can add another clown if the one you are adding is smaller than the current. This way it will be a tad easier for them to establish who will turn into the male and possibly less aggression.
Other than that, as long as they are size appropriate for your tank it would be up to you what you would be putting in there. I always point people to the nano section of liveaquaria.com to help with such.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

A watchman goby could hold its own agains a clown for sure. It would add some activity in the bottom area of the tank
Old 02-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks so far for the recommendations!

Sniper - Definately wasnt going to use critters as the be all end all for algae, just thought it would be nice to have some support in the tank. I have been trying to maintain the purple algae (cyano?), I know most like it for its decorative look but, it at times can be a real pain. So really more for bottom dwellers who'll care for glass and sand. As for clown, yea I will definately get him/her a mate.

FWFish - Not a bad idea, I was actually thinking of a watchman or a blenny?

What you guys think about a dragonette? Difficult in upkeep? I have read they are not to aggressive, I really like the look of them.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

A dragonette would do fine in your tank, but they are picky eaters, and may only eat live food like copepods and brine shrimp. Some will accept frozen and flake, but it isn't too common.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
In my experience, A dragonet most likely will not do fine in a 35 gallon tank. Odds are better that it will starve to death. Very few end up eating prepared foods, and feeding them live food will be more expense than you will want to deal with. I've never seen a dragonet eat brine shrimp. Especially with a mouth that is smaller than adult brine. It may eat the juveniles, but generally they eat copepods. These are hardly visible to the naked eye. An adult mandarin can eat hundreds and possibly thousands of pods in a day. They don't eat free swimming creatures. They eat crawling creatures. They pick off the rock and not catch food floating by.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
In my experience, A dragonet most likely will not do fine in a 35 gallon tank. Odds are better that it will starve to death. Very few end up eating prepared foods, and feeding them live food will be more expense than you will want to deal with. I've never seen a dragonet eat brine shrimp. Especially with a mouth that is smaller than adult brine. It may eat the juveniles, but generally they eat copepods. These are hardly visible to the naked eye. An adult mandarin can eat hundreds and possibly thousands of pods in a day. They don't eat free swimming creatures. They eat crawling creatures. They pick off the rock and not catch food floating by.
I thought they ate bbs, I guess due to their mouth shape it wouldn't make sense. With enough pods, as mr x said, it could be possible but it would be a hassle
Old 02-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'd personally never keep a dragonette again. I was adding 1-2k pods into my 55 reef every month. This was on top of the fact that it was also eating frozen mysis. It was way too expensive to maintain only to see it starve to death after just over a year.
In terms of cyanobacteria, there isn't anything that will eat it. It is a nutrient issue in the water column that needs to be addressed.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had no idea drags were that hard to keep. Guess we all Lear. Something new every day! After hearing what sniper and mr x said, I would probably stay away from dragonettes.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:45 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

No drags pls. You can consider one anemone for the clown to host.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
ate, clown, mate, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com