Tank Safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris1610

Aquarium Advice Regular
Recently, after introducing a Kole Tang into my tank, I had an outbreak of ich. After various attempts at curing the fish of the disease, all had, sadly, died... except for one - my Red Coris Wrasse.

He seems to be healthy and happy, is this due to an obscure immunity or resistance to ich, or has the ich been successfully eradicated?

I'm only now considering to restock the tank after roughly a month since the plague, should additional livestock be safe?

P.S
If it makes any difference, it was a 75g tank with a Foxface, Kole Tang, Red Coris Wrasse and a duo of Yellowtail Damsels, and all water parameters are in check.

- Chris

id wait atleast 2 more weeks, 4 if possible. 4 weeks since the intiail outbreak is not long enough to completely starve out the disease. also im not sure as to the wrasses resistance to ich, but if the disease is using him as a host, youll never truly eradicate the disease. wait till someone more experienced with wrasses chimes in, but id say you would be best served to qt the fish and do either hyposalinity or copper treatment just to make sure he isn't hosting it.

Cheers. If anyone does have any experience with wrasse, I'd appreciate it if you could shed some light.

QT the wrasse ICH can hide in the gills and will reinfect any fish you add to your DT. I'd QT and treat, then leave the main tank fallow for 8-12 weeks to starve the ich out. Be sure to blind feed the main tank to keep the BB alive.

Cheers, Grizz. I'll QT the wrasse and starve out the disease. Thanks

Treat the wrasse as if it has ich it's the safest way also put a small bowl of sand for the wrasse to sleep in or he will go crackers trying to find a place to hide/sleep. I use a shallow cereal bowl with 3/4 inch of sand. This will give you some info on treating. Copper: the Sure Cure for Saltwater "Ich"

Thanks Grizz, I'll set up the QT now. I'll read that article on copper now

Back
Top Bottom