Tank safe during fumigation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bpeitzke

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking at doing termite treatment for my house, and it seems the most dependable treatment is fumigation using sulfuryl fluoride. Moving my tank would be an incredible hassle, even if I had a place to keep it temporarily. I've seen some discussions where people just covered their tanks with plastic and turned off the pumps during fumigation. Can anyone comment on the risk of fumigation for fish and LR?

TIA

Bob

Last summer I was looking to treat for fleas using the usual smoke bomb but I decided against it due to my tank. Some said that if I wrap up the tank tightly in plastic and shut down all the pumps that I might be alright. I didn't want to take the chance. I don't know much about alternative treatments for termites but you may want to check them out and see if you can try those first.

I taped plastic over all my tanks and used flea bombs in my old apartment. Didn't have any negative effects. Its not something to skimp on though. You gotta be super careful to get every single possibility of the fumes getting in the tank taken care of.

I've had to flea bomb my apartment with my tank in it. I took thick plastic from the shipping dept at my work and wrapped the top of my DT up, turned everything off, then put a blanket over it and it was fine. That was pre-sump/fuge, though if I had to do it now I'd just wrap the fuge as well.

Step 1: Take a plastic tub, larger than tank and stand if you can find one. or just larger than you tank

Step 2: By a sheet of plastic

Step 3: Seal the plastic to the tub.

Step 4: Hang the tub over the top of your tank.

Step 5: The day of seal the plastic to the floor.

Step 6: Return scrap up the seal and your good to go.

If you want to keep you pumps running, seal the plastic around an powerStrip cord.

Or just turn every thing off. and wrap it in plastic.
This may not work I just made it up on the fly.

I read several threads where people sealed their tanks during fumigation, didn't lose any fish. Most ran a PH with an outside air line. That would be hard, long line run, hard to seal. I'm wondering whether oxygen depletion would be significant in the 3-day treatment.

3 days is a long time to go without some type of surface agitation. If I were you and had to do a 3 day treatment I would run a PH pointed up at the surface of the water from an outside source. You would lose atleast your fish after 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom