Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Tank setup up in front of window

Hey everyone, I've got my sand rinsed and all my equipment in place...just waiting on my rock shipment to come in sometime next week. But....before I went and started adding water and begin cycling I was wondering if what would be the drawbacks and problems if I was to set up the tank in front of a window? I'd plan on keepin the blinds shut most of the time and the window doesn't normally receive any direct light. Any cautions or warnings would be appreciated.

-Mark

Old 01-06-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I think you`ll be asking for problems if you do. That type light will be a big fuel factor for nusisance algea. I know what you say about the window blinds being shut but I`m sure it wont be all the time.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

yeah from my experience, tanks in front of window are always having phosphate problems resulting in constant algea blooms like mel said. i would find an alternate location for the tank.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

As long as direct lighting is avoided I don't see a problem and indirect lighting can be beneficial IME. Proper maintenance should curb the limited algae growth you could receive. If you do wish to block out external (natural sunlight) light you can purchase thin acrylic and paint one side blue and the other black, that way if you get bored of a background you can simply untape and reverse
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:46 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
my concern would be temperature swings. I dont know how well insulated the windows are or how extreme your weather gets, but that would be something I would think about.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

What side of the house is the window? South facing, I'd be concerned. North facing... probably not as much of a problem.

Hara's note about temperature is more of what I'd be concerned about as you can deal with water quality issues that might fuel algae problems. Poorly insulated windows right behind a tank will suck heat out of that thing like you wouldn't believe. My tank is in a corner and an outside wall is along the back. On cold days (not arctic mind you, but like 35F or so) I notice the heater light on considerably more than normal. And that's through an insulated wall.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Kohan Bros.
well to awnser your question no. me and my dad have run numorous tanks off just sunlight. the only thing about widows is i forgot name of compound but it prevents some of the color rays that give the corals more vibratant colors, theyd look a little dull, but grew like mad. you would not have any problems with a tank next to a window. i mean corals use sunlight in the wild why would it hurt? and from my expirence alge comes from excess nitrAte or over water parms are off.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:51 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Algea also feeds off certain spectrums of light. That is why we change lightbulbs because over time the spectrum changes and is a fuel for nuisance algea. When sunlight goes through a window it is diffused and the proper spectrum is not achieved. IME I have known several people that had problems with algea that their tanks had alot of diffused sunlight on the tank. But of course this is IMO and IME.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 11:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to dscount Send a message via Yahoo to dscount
I had indirect light in a well lit up family room. That even created algea blooms. I had to keep the lights off more and shades pulled down to kill off some of the blooms. Maintenance also played a factor. Once I got that squared away I still had that bloom spike each spring. Here in Alaska we tend to get a tad more light in the summer months.

Meanwhile the tempature swing along would cook the tank I'm sure. I have a portable AC (Yes in Alaska mind you) for my office in front of the hose (New tank location). I've only one window and it's closed with blinds drawn. Can't keep the tempature down in the room let alone by the window.

My two cents worth. If you do manage to place by the window, I'd have a back out plan just in case you need to move in a couple months.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:24 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

What kind of display is this? Reef or fish-only? If a reef, sunlight will be no trouble at all. If it is a fish tank, nutrients might be in sufficient amounts that the sunlight will fuel nuisance algae.

Tags
setup, tan, tank setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com