Tank size for flame angel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apinkmanatee

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 65 fowlr with 2 clowns, 1 royal gramma, and 3 blue reef chromis. Yesterday, it started leaking from the bottom. We went out to get a new tank. The only one we could afford was a 60 gallon, so that s what we got. I also have a flame angel in quarantine, to go into the fowlr soon. I read that his minimum tank size is 70 gal. The lfs said that five gallons wasn't too big of a deal. Now I just realized that we will be going down ten gallons. We haven't transferred tanks yet. I could still return the 60. Is 60 just way too small for a flame angel? I want him to be happy. I'm pretty sure 60 isn't acceptable but my husband wants us to make sure before we return it...so what is your opinion? Thanks guys.

Well I might be a trouble maker, but my flame is in my 54gal corner tank. He's very happy in here he runs my tank.

image-1042112775.jpg

lfs here told me 55 was good for a pair so planning pair for my 55 with the size of flames i'd say your more then fine.

40 or bigger would be fine for a flame angel
they say 30 g but thats just a tad small

Attachments

• q.JPG
    q.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 182
I kept my Coral Beauty in a 29 for about 2 months. No problems whatsoever. Was very happy and healthy. I have him in a 55 gallon now. Both the Beauty and the Flame are fine in a 30 gallon tank. Many people house them with no issues, but 50 gallons or more is recommended. So you should be good!! Very good looking fish!!

Wow, that's great news. Thanks for the help everyone. It is so crazy how conflicting the information is out there. Live Aquaria is where I saw the 70 gallon minimum...

Oops I hit send too early. And I thought they were pretty trustworthy. Anyway, majority rules. Thanks again!

Live aquaria are over cautious in a lot of their fish and minimal tank size. Every book and every other website say a Flame can stay in a 30 gallon. I think the bigger the better, but with your tank I don't see an issue.

The dwarf angel will be fine in that tank. Liveaquaria had the dwarf angels listed as 30g minimum until a few months ago. I have had my dwarf angel in a 30g for 6-7 months now and he's perfectly happy and not too aggressive.

lfs here told me 55 was good for a pair so planning pair for my 55 with the size of flames i'd say your more then fine.

I'm not sure I would put a pair of any Angel in a 55g. Flames can have attitudes. Putting angels together usually leads to aggression. To me, that is begging for problems.

I tend to go with bigger is better. More room usually equals less stress, which usually equals happier/healthier fish. I feel minimum tank recommendations work for smaller fish. As they grow, that minimum should grow too.

Back
Top Bottom