Tank stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterac

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I have a large 450g tank with plenty of LR. The tank has sort of evolved into a more aggressive setup. I have plenty of room to add more fish.

Currently there is only a Snowflake Eel, Foxface Lo, Mono, and Lunare Wrasse. I want to add more fish and since I am not doing corals I do not have that to worry about.

I was thinking of some of the following:

Lionfish
Triggers (not sure which species)
Another Snowflake (I love them)
Puffer

Anyone with experience with any of these please let me know. Also, any other ideas on other species which would work well would be great.

Thanks,
Pete R.

If you like your snowflake, you will really like a zebra moray. I would stick with the more mild triggers like niger. Even though it is a more aggressive tank, you dont want things harassed. A couple volitan lions would be quite pretty in there as well.

peterac said:
Hi all,

I have a large 450g tank with plenty of LR. The tank has sort of evolved into a more aggressive setup. I have plenty of room to add more fish.

Currently there is only a Snowflake Eel, Foxface Lo, Mono, and Lunare Wrasse. I want to add more fish and since I am not doing corals I do not have that to worry about.

I was thinking of some of the following:

Lionfish
Triggers (not sure which species)
Another Snowflake (I love them)
Puffer

Anyone with experience with any of these please let me know. Also, any other ideas on other species which would work well would be great.

Thanks,
Pete R.

I have a lot of the same fish you listed, everyone was getting along fantastically with the giant exception of my Picasso (Humu Humu) Triggerfish! He was a nightmare, ended up killing another fish by eating ALL his fins (supposedly they do this frequently with lionfish because of their long elaborate fins). I'd like to think I had a bad Picasso but I literally called about 10 LFS until I finally found one who would take him in for free (they wouldn't buy him off me though because they called Picassos "completely insane").

When I had bought him, everything I had read said Picassos are one of the more peaceful triggers and would get along great with the other fish I chose. So if you are going go with a trigger, just be cautious and hopefully you will have better luck than I did!

As far as the other fish you listed, puffers are my absolute favorite! I have a dogface and a spiny box and they get along really well. They are hardy, eat well, and have TONS of personality!

I also tried a lot of lionfish including dwarf zebras, antennata, and volitans. The ones from Petland and Pet Co were awful. I finally went to my favorite fish store and ended up spending 3x more on a lionfish than what Pet Co charges, but that's because my current one is from Hawaii rather than the Philippines. He eats great, very healthy, completely different fish than what you can get at Pet Co. In my opinion, it's worth the extra cash because I spent over $150 on lionfishes that were caught with cyanide.

Some other fish you may want to check out are a Harlequin Tusk, large Angels, or maybe a Tang.

Hope this helped!

Wow, sorry for your experience pinkie. I have never heard of anyone say a picasso is one of the more peaceful triggers. They are well known to be nasty.

How about clowns? Doesn't every tank have clowns??? :roll:

Seems a pair of decent sized yellow (or white) striped maroons, or pink skunks would be able to handle themselves. Maybe someone that knows more about that would weigh in, but I'm thinking you gotta have some clowns.

And yeah, you need wrasse(s).

Purple tang too.

austinsdad said:
How about clowns? Doesn't every tank have clowns??? :roll:

Seems a pair of decent sized yellow (or white) striped maroons, or pink skunks would be able to handle themselves. Maybe someone that knows more about that would weigh in, but I'm thinking you gotta have some clowns.

And yeah, you need wrasse(s).

Purple tang too.

I actually had a few clowns. The last one was sick and the SFE accidentally grabbed him and he never had a chance. Healthy clowns would probably be okay.

Thanks for the advice. More would be graciously welcomed.

Puffer

Go for a porcupine puffer--you have the room. And they have puppy-like personalities which will endear them to any viewer.

roka64 said:
Was this topic split from another one?
Pretty sure she meant to post it to this topic and probably hit "new topic" instead of reply by accident so I merged the two posts.

LOL! Ok, I thought I was missing something. I agree with the Maroon Clowns, I had one in with 5 damsels, and they never bothered him. They tend to be more agressive than other clowns. My personal favorite is the Yellow Striped Clowns.

Back
Top Bottom