Tank turnover rate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rncarter

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am trying to get a decent flow rate in my 90 gallon tank. I just bought a KORALIA 1 UL 400 gph 4W in addition I have a Eheim canister filter which gives me about 250 gph. Therefore, I know that my total GPH is 650 but how do I calculate my turnover rate. Most of the articles that I am reading constantly mention 10x, 50x, 90x, etc. But my concern is that I don't know how to calculate my turnover rate.
Please help...

people do it different ways, some just take the 90g you have times 10x per hour, turnover rate is 900gph. And then some people take their 90g minus the amount of water displaced by their rock, to find the actual amount of water in there, and then multiply that number.

I always use the first one because IMO its better to have more flow then less.

Okay...the first method makes it much simpler to understand. Based on that method my calculation is saying that I have just about 10x flow rate. I think I will get an additional PH to increase my flow.

Jimbo covered it perfectly. I too prefer more flow. We're running nearly 20x on our 50G and I'd like more.

Any recommendation on how to locate/position the PHs. My canister filter is "shooting" towards to the front of the tank now and my skimmer is hang-on

If I had money to burn. lol

Any recommendation on how to locate/position the PHs. My canister filter is "shooting" towards to the front of the tank now and my skimmer is hang-on

It will be a trial and effort thing and depends on rock placement etc. Just adjust them for as turbulent and random a flow as possible until you get them where you like. Usually a good starting point is to aim them from the back corners to meet in the middle of the front glass.

That is a loaded question my friend. It all depends on several factors, what you are trying to do, what is in your tank, where is your rock...etc. A lot of people shoot for a circular flow around the tank with one or more power heads sweeping from the back shooting forward. This gives you lots of flow and exchange of nutrients, while also randomly creating breaks in the pattern which has been shown to stimulate coral growth and healthy fish.

If you are really interested I have a bunch of articles at the ready.

Jimbo, I am interested in the articles!!! Are they in the apptly named articles section?

Here is a diagram of some placements:
img_1150583_0_71146b0335bdfedaf0cb730e3a64a210.jpg

Thank you for the diagrams. It looks like I will be slightly modifying my PH placement to get better circulation. I have mine pointed at or around the rocks to create a cirular current in the tank but the diagrams look like it should be a mixed current. Am I reading them correct or is my set up adequate. I have good circulation but if it can be improved, I will do so.

The diagrams will give you random currents which is better overall for the tank. It's easy enough to try different setups and see which suits your rock setup best.

Some really good informative reading Jimbo. Thanks alot. There were a few things in there that have never crossed my mind!!!

Some really good informative reading Jimbo. Thanks alot. There were a few things in there that have never crossed my mind!!!

yea lol, some of it gets a little crazy in those second articles, but if you can sit through and digest all of it, its pretty interesting stuff.

I am getting the KORALIA 1 UL 400 gph 4W today so this should help with the turnover of my water.

Nice! Let us know how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom