Tank upgrade!! 8-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Put most in the fuge and some in the tank. I do it once every 3 months.

And your mandarin thrives? I unfortunately could not sustain a proper environment for a Target Mandarin in my 55, but would like to give another mandarin a shot someday in this tank...

I guess with all this, I'm just trying to see what the best way to maintain a healthy pod population is, and what/when to take action such as adding more...

Yes, my mandarin is still doing well. I'm trying to find out when I added him. It might be over a year now. I used to restock every other month with the bogo deal. 2k pods is a lot and I'd sometimes get more. I stocked it up bi-monthly and just started slacking back with it.

Yes, my mandarin is still doing well. I'm trying to find out when I added him. It might be over a year now. I used to restock every other month with the bogo deal. 2k pods is a lot and I'd sometimes get more. I stocked it up bi-monthly and just started slacking back with it.

Ok thanks for the input. I just may have to add a mandarin back to my possible fish (in a year from now)...

Back to some flow thoughts... I can't afford an MP40, and I'm still a bit iffy on the WP40. I'm considering running both of my Koralia 1400's constantly 24 hours a day, and putting 2 Koralia Magnum 6's on my wave maker, alternating every 15 minutes, and also which will turn off when the lights go out to let things calm down at night. Does this seem like a decent idea?

You don't need the wave maker at all. Let them all run full time.

But doesn't alternating them help "stir things up a bit"? By the water essentially moving around the tank in one dominant direction, and then the opposite way...? Or is this an incorrectly perceived benefit? Also, will my bubble tip be overwhelmed by this much flow?

All power heads on, is going to stir things up better than half of them on, half of the time. The more flow the better, as far as keeping particulate matter suspended.
As far as random turbulence, water never goes in the exact same direction twice, so like Hank said, aiming two power heads at each other will make some fairly random flow, if that's what you want.

Ok I getcha now... Thanks guys.

I do remember seeing a video on BRS regarding letting the tank calm down at night. Any merit to this?

And as far as powerheads go, would it be better to only run 2 of the bigger Magnums, or add 2 more Evo 1400's? I feel the flow will be more random with 4, but would be very unsightly...

I have 8 power heads in my tank....lol.
I don't think slowing the flow at night has enough benefit to worry about it. I don't do it and my stuff grows just like everyone elses.

Ok, so I guess I might just get the 2 Magnum 6's, and have those facing each other. They each put out 2200 gph, and then I can add the 1400's in as needed.

Now a pine stand question... I am considering using some metal brackets to reinforce this thing.... I got the stand used, and am kind of paranoid about it. Please help put me at ease if you can. It is an older pine stand, and looks pretty generic, and unaltered. Is there any reason to worry about this for anything whatsoever?? Its the design where the tank will sit on the edges of the top of the stand. I'm sorry to keep revisiting this, but I need to be certain lol.... I realize that realistically its only about 100 lbs per square foot, but still just can't stop thinking about it...

Ok, feeling better about the stand...

In regards to my fuge section of the sump... I am taking down my nano 2 gallon, and have a Wave Point LED, 6", with white and actinic lights that I don't want to waste. Can I use this light over my fuge? I know that nothing special is necessary, but will LEDs even though could be overkill, still have the same macro growing benefits?

image-3026737663.jpg

If hanging a Taotronics LED from the ceiling isn't an option, is there a simple stand I can buy to accommodate 2 of these? Maybe some simple square steel that makes a frame up n over the tank?

You can go to home depot or lowes and bend some conduit to work for you. Bend it like an L shape and fasten it to the back of the stand or the wall.

PLUMBING QUESTION-

Vinyl or PVC for the drain lines to the sump? What does everyone prefer?

I wanted to use the vinyl clear tubing, but it ended up crimping after I put it in some hot water
and would have to re-do one of the drain lines. Should I just do this, or re-do it all with PVC? The 3/4" return line worked out fine...

Maybe some people can give some input on both ways?

Back
Top Bottom