Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #151
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do I NEED to run a filter sock in my sump? Is there a drastic difference with or without it?

Old 05-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #152
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't use one because I want any detrius that enters the sump to get liquified in the skimmer pump and removed. Basically, poop gets liquified and then forms very bubbly bubbles and gets skimmed. Poop will create bigger bubbles than the protien strings it becomes after breaking down into ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Most poop captured in the filter socks will turn into those nitrogenous proteins and be less effectively captured in the skimmer before sock changes. Only the 'new' poop in the sock will get manually removed and washed before becoming ammonia.
However, filter socks will capture any other solids that head down the overflow. But the rest of my sump does that for me simply thru settling.
Oh, they're a real PITA to change and clean, IMO.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #153
Aquarium Advice Addict

So if I don't use a filter sock, and obviously no filter, is there something I should do or use to secure the drains in place? I'm going to be using clear flexible tubing instead of the hard PVC... Is there some sort of holder or something?
Old 05-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #154
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer View Post
So if I don't use a filter sock, and obviously no filter, is there something I should do or use to secure the drains in place? I'm going to be using clear flexible tubing instead of the hard PVC... Is there some sort of holder or something?
Should have typed "and obviously no filter sock holder"...
Old 05-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #155
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I am a sock advocate. I think they are a must. My sumps used to get a soot on the bottom of them that got deeper and deeper until I developed problems in the DT. Since I've implemented socks, I don't see any build up and my skimmate production has not changed.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #156
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I am a sock advocate. I think they are a must. My sumps used to get a soot on the bottom of them that got deeper and deeper until I developed problems in the DT. Since I've implemented socks, I don't see any build up and my skimmate production has not changed.
Difficult to clean X?? Also, I see different micron and sizes, 4", 7", etc... Any which way is the best way for having 2 1" drains? How about a double sock setup, or just have both drain into 1 sock?
Old 05-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #157
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Interesting. But what is the cause of the soot?
I have had my tank/sump for 7 months now and the sump has a bare bottom. I did have an issue when my reactor blew 1/2 the purigen out past the too big of filter pad in there. Much of the tiny pellets made a round trip from the sump return section (where my reactor output was), thru the DT and back to the drain side of the sump. I have sucked most of it back out with the turkey baster. Other than that I have no buildup in my sump, without running socks.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #158
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer View Post
Difficult to clean X?? Also, I see different micron and sizes, 4", 7", etc... Any which way is the best way for having 2 1" drains? How about a double sock setup, or just have both drain into 1 sock?
I like to use the big ones so I can turn them inside out before I toss them in the washing machine with a little bleach. I also try to save anything living on the inside of the sock (pods, worms, starfish..) I would have both drain into one large sock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
Interesting. But what is the cause of the soot?
uneaten food and fish poop I would imagine. I don't know the difference between my sump and yours. Possibly flow? I don't put a ton of flow through my sumps. Just enough to feed skimmers and such.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #159
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I like to use the big ones so I can turn them inside out before I toss them in the washing machine with a little bleach. I also try to save anything living on the inside of the sock (pods, worms, starfish..) I would have both drain into one large sock.

uneaten food and fish poop I would imagine. I don't know the difference between my sump and yours. Possibly flow? I don't put a ton of flow through my sumps. Just enough to feed skimmers and such.
I intend to run low flow, to the tune of 300 gph... It was advice from my LFS, as to not allow too much water to simply pass by the skimmer. It makes sense to me, I'm glad other successful tanks do this as well. I hear a lot of people talking about crazy amounts of flow through the sump...
Old 05-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #160
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually, it doesn't make any sense. All water is connected as one. Fast or slow, your skimmer is going to skim exactly the same amount, possibly less if the flow rate through the sump is less than the skimmer pump, but exactly the same otherwise.

Tags
tan, tank upgrade, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com