Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #231
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I've never used plastic shims in my life, always wood.
Ok thanks... I saw a YouTube video on leveling an aquarium, plus advice on this forum and talking to my LFS, and feel better about leveling this tank stand, and will be using wooden shims.

My BRS order arrived and I'm letting the braided tubing lay out flat along my stairway hand railing to let it straighten out a bit. I will probably put the ends in boiling water so I can bend them so the tubing will "fit" appropriately for my filter sock holder.

Also have to finish building the DIY top I started, which I need to modify because I didn't leave a gap for electrical wires from the powerheads.... D'oh!

Old 06-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #232
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's a question for you, and I'm sure everyone who has a close quarters sump can help answer... I have to drop my sump in from above (with the reef octo nwb150 in it and there's not a lot of room under there)... How am I supposed to clean the chamber of the sump every 6 months as recommended? Do I just clean it while it's still in the sump? I would need to dismantle the entire tank to get it out of the cabinet in the stand if I have to remove it...yikes...??

Old 06-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #233
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer View Post
Here's a question for you, and I'm sure everyone who has a close quarters sump can help answer... I have to drop my sump in from above (with the reef octo nwb150 in it and there's not a lot of room under there)... How am I supposed to clean the chamber of the sump every 6 months as recommended? Do I just clean it while it's still in the sump? I would need to dismantle the entire tank to get it out of the cabinet in the stand if I have to remove it...yikes...??
This is confusing... I meant clean the reaction chamber of the PROTEIN SKIMMER... I won't be able to remove it from the sump due to space restrictions.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #234
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
This is confusing... I meant clean the reaction chamber of the PROTEIN SKIMMER... I won't be able to remove it from the sump due to space restrictions.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:05 AM   #235
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You could turn it off and try to hit it with a toothbrush maybe. I have the same skimmer, it's huge. Thankfully my sump is behind the tank so I can remove it.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #236
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I don't ever clean the reaction chamber. Just shield it from light so it doesn't grow a ton of algae in it and it will be fine.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #237
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I don't ever clean the reaction chamber. Just shield it from light so it doesn't grow a ton of algae in it and it will be fine.
How do I shield it from the lamp going over the fuge right next to it?
Old 06-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #238
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Put something between the lamp and it. A piece of plastic, cardboard....something. Use your imagination.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #239
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Put something between the lamp and it. A piece of plastic, cardboard....something. Use your imagination.
Lol simplicity at its finest... Guess I was just more concerned about the baffles being clear and emitting light through. I'll work on it!
Old 06-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #240
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
You can at least access it from doors, right?? I clean my sump that way. It isn't comfy, but it works. And I have a mini gravel vac that i suck detritus that gets in the bottom out. Sometimes if you can take the top off your skimmer as you should do every few days to once per week anyway, you may be able to get the skimmer out w/ the top chamber off. But yeah, I don't think you need to clean the bottom chamber that often. All's mine had was some minimal small white things, polychaete on it when I got it used w/ the tank & stock. My skimmer top chamber gets dirty pretty quick though! I've been cleaning that every 3 days or so. Good luck!!

Tags
tan, tank upgrade, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com