Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #281
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
It's not the glass, it's just the plastic around it. If it can't handle the weight of the water, it will be forced to seat correctly.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #282
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's the shim job...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2086235702.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	182694

Problem is, I can't get to shim the back of the tank anymore because it's too close to the wall, and there's probably a good 3 feet of unshimmed tank stand back there, with a decent size gap between it and the floor because the sides took so much to level... Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3052846196.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	182693  

Old 06-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #283
Aquarium Advice Addict

Completely defeated on leveling this thing, almost about ready to give up. When I level it front to back, it's leaving about a 1/4" gap throughout the entire bottom between the stand and the floor. Is there some sort of styrofoam I can just cut a strip of and put it under the stand? Or do I need to shim the entire back side, which is near impossible to get to because it's 3" off the wall?? Please help! 8-(
Old 06-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #284
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Either shim the front rather than the back or I wouldn't worry about it at all. My tank is the opposite of level. There is almost an inch difference from one side of the tank to the other. I just put the overflow on the low side where the water was higher.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #285
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Either shim the front rather than the back or I wouldn't worry about it at all. My tank is the opposite of level. There is almost an inch difference from one side of the tank to the other. I just put the overflow on the low side where the water was higher.
The problem is, is that it's not that the floor is just uneven from a level perspective (at least only uneven) but its wavy too. The stand doesn't sit flush on the ground. It leaves inches worth of runs that are not in contact with the floor. The back of the stand where the wall is, is a good 1/4" lower than the rest of the floor, but only for about 5 inches. So the front of the tank is ok. But I also need to boost the back up so it's somewhat level front to back, and this leaves me with that gap.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #286
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

If that is the case than your hands seem to be tied in terms of what you need to do, and shim up the back as best you can.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #287
Aquarium Advice Addict

So do you think there is some sort of heavy duty styrofoam I could cut a strip and put it under the back of the tank and shim the sides as needed?
Old 07-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #288
Aquarium Advice Addict

Whelp, this thread may need to take on a new title of "Tank Downsizing..." . I'm not confident in leveling this tank due to its size, AND my Wavepoint T5 HO just fried on me. Unfortunately funds will not allow a new light at this time. Looks like I may have to sell off this 75 and pursue a smaller 20 or 30 gallon FOWLR at this time...
Old 07-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #289
Aquarium Advice Addict

Down on luck. Light fried, can't level new tank, 6 line wrasse went carpet surfing, ugh! However... My incredibly nice LFS is coming out to level my tank, and is re-wiring my light for me if it's not covered under warranty. Regarding the 6 line, well not much we can do for him now, but my Dottyback sure is happy lol...
Old 07-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #290
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Well things aren't that bad! You have someone to help. Could be worse and the setup rot like that. Glad you are on the upturn with it.

Tags
tan, tank upgrade, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com