Tank upgrade!! 8-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And I'm aware that the flange side is typically on the inside of the tank, but I flipped it around because I need to get as close to my wall as possible...

Is 100 lbs of sand ok in a 75 or is it too much? I will have a 30 gallon sump with a fuge that I will also have a sand bed in...

It depends on what you want in your main display tank. If 100 lbs of live sand is what you want in and it looks good than go for it. I don't think it will hurt. I would go for a sand bed no deeper than 2in everywhere.

It does also depend on the fish your getting, some fish require a DEEP live sand bed, so they can bury themselves in at night to sleep, or burrow and make tunnels for themselves to live in. So again, it's just want you want and what kind of fish your putting into your tank. I don't think 100 pounds is going to be that deep, I put 80 pounds of sand into my 55. It's about 2in sand bad.

MarineDepot.com

It's a little more than 2".
As far as your target depth, It would depend on the function of your sand bed. Is it just for looks and for some critters to live in, or did you want it to aid in filtration? If it's the latter, I would make it 4" deep. A deep sand bed can aid in filtration just like a piece of live rock can.

Mr_X I was told a deep sand bad very bad. I was told that the deeper the sand bad the worse it could be. I was also told what you were saying. I went for a max of 2 to 3 inches in my tank. :p

That's not necessarily true.
They are very good for converting nitrate to nitrogen gas. I certainly wouldn't use very large particles, but sugar sized sand should be just fine. Some sand dwelling critters to keep the top layer aerated, and you are good to go.

This is the sand I'm going to use...

image-1664190961.jpg

Going to stick to the 90-100 lb amount as planned. Now should I do the same in my sump fuge section or should I go DSB with chaeto and live rock?

Awesome thanks! So from the comments looks like DSB and macros is the best way to keep nitrates essentially low? And did I gather that live rock is not as beneficial or did I misconstrue someone's post?

I think what they were saying is one needs a different set up over the other. Not that live rock was not beneficial. I think live rock is better, anything natural is better than artificial.

Yea that makes sense... Maybe I'll start with chaeto and DSB in the fuge, as I can always add a piece or 2 of dry rock down the road.

What is artificial? You lost me here. The ocean floor is nothing but a giant deep sand bed. it can't be all that bad. Live rock will never negatively effect a sand bed, or work against it.

I think he may just have been referring to live rock over, say, bioballs etc...?

Any links to a decent inexpensive filter sock holder that has 2 inlets for my sump? Maybe CPR?

Yeah, the Bio-balls are artificial. I was saying the Live Rock and Deep Sand Bed would be the best in my opinion. The Artificial route is the one to steer clear from. :p

I also saw somebody used some sort of plastic can they got at home depot and cut some of the bottom out... Any harm in doing something like this? Or even fashion something out of a larger diameter piece of PVC piping...?

Need some help with my stand please...

My 30 long sump will not fit any which way through the doors or opening on the back, so I will need to modify this a bit and lower the sump in from the top. Looks like I will need to remove this middle brace pictured here:

image-1460266726.jpg

Should I just find a way to remove the staples, and then just reuse this piece by screwing it in? (it's a pine stand btw) Or... Should I cut a 2x4 and fit it into place?

Also, this is a stand that the tank essentially rests
on the outside lip of the top. Is there something that I should do to structurally increase the integrity, like laying down a piece of plywood over the top, and then rest the tank on that? Or are these stands built with the right finesse?

If you take out the middle support, make sure you put it back. Screwing it back in shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure its put back in well. I had a pre-built stand the tank came with (Factory made). I had no issues with it. I don't think a piece of plywood would hurt it so long as it's level.

I never had an issue with a stand that was already built. My only issue with the stand I had was that it was short and I always had to bend down to look into my tank. The stand I have now is custom built and it makes my tank level with my eye, so I can just look right in without having to bend over.

Structurally speaking, as long as you put the middle support back in with steady wood screws, and some wood glue on the end so it could harden over time, you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom