Tank upgrade!! 8-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not the glass, it's just the plastic around it. If it can't handle the weight of the water, it will be forced to seat correctly.

Here's the shim job...

image-2086235702.jpg

Problem is, I can't get to shim the back of the tank anymore because it's too close to the wall, and there's probably a good 3 feet of unshimmed tank stand back there, with a decent size gap between it and the floor because the sides took so much to level... Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image-3052846196.jpg
    image-3052846196.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 76
Completely defeated on leveling this thing, almost about ready to give up. When I level it front to back, it's leaving about a 1/4" gap throughout the entire bottom between the stand and the floor. Is there some sort of styrofoam I can just cut a strip of and put it under the stand? Or do I need to shim the entire back side, which is near impossible to get to because it's 3" off the wall?? Please help! 8-(

Either shim the front rather than the back or I wouldn't worry about it at all. My tank is the opposite of level. There is almost an inch difference from one side of the tank to the other. I just put the overflow on the low side where the water was higher.

Either shim the front rather than the back or I wouldn't worry about it at all. My tank is the opposite of level. There is almost an inch difference from one side of the tank to the other. I just put the overflow on the low side where the water was higher.

The problem is, is that it's not that the floor is just uneven from a level perspective (at least only uneven) but its wavy too. The stand doesn't sit flush on the ground. It leaves inches worth of runs that are not in contact with the floor. The back of the stand where the wall is, is a good 1/4" lower than the rest of the floor, but only for about 5 inches. So the front of the tank is ok. But I also need to boost the back up so it's somewhat level front to back, and this leaves me with that gap.

So do you think there is some sort of heavy duty styrofoam I could cut a strip and put it under the back of the tank and shim the sides as needed?

Whelp, this thread may need to take on a new title of "Tank Downsizing..." . I'm not confident in leveling this tank due to its size, AND my Wavepoint T5 HO just fried on me. Unfortunately funds will not allow a new light at this time. Looks like I may have to sell off this 75 and pursue a smaller 20 or 30 gallon FOWLR at this time...

Down on luck. Light fried, can't level new tank, 6 line wrasse went carpet surfing, ugh! However... My incredibly nice LFS is coming out to level my tank, and is re-wiring my light for me if it's not covered under warranty. Regarding the 6 line, well not much we can do for him now, but my Dottyback sure is happy lol...

Well things aren't that bad! You have someone to help. Could be worse and the setup rot like that. Glad you are on the upturn with it.

Thanks Hank... I got a text message last night from my Stef at my LFS asking if I was dropping out of the hobby, and it really got to me that I was actually considering it, and she was more than willing to help me NOT drop it... Partially because it's their livelihood too, but also because they're always trying to keep people engaged with fish keeping. Definitely restored my excitement in this build!

Down on luck. Light fried, can't level new tank, 6 line wrasse went carpet surfing, ugh! However... My incredibly nice LFS is coming out to level my tank, and is re-wiring my light for me if it's not covered under warranty. Regarding the 6 line, well not much we can do for him now, but my Dottyback sure is happy lol...

Oh man... I've been hearing about so many jumpers lately :(

Awesome that your LFS is going to help you out! Mine is really great too. I bought replacement legs for my light, couldn't get the screws off b/c they were so salt-creep-rusted on. The LFS reverse drilled the screws & installed the new legs! Good luck!! I'll bet they fix your tank up nice.

Good to hear. It sure can be rough at times. I'm always frustrated at the algae that grows in my tank. Have it mostly secluded to Refugium and on power heads. Just can't get rid of it! All about keeping positive.

As for the pictures, its less about the shots and more about fish that you see once a day for a second. Betta is very shy still.

Oh man... I've been hearing about so many jumpers lately :(

Awesome that your LFS is going to help you out! Mine is really great too. I bought replacement legs for my light, couldn't get the screws off b/c they were so salt-creep-rusted on. The LFS reverse drilled the screws & installed the new legs! Good luck!! I'll bet they fix your tank up nice.

Thanks Tango... I have eggcrate as a top, and there's a 4"x3" hole from my HOB skimmer that I sold to help fund my in sump skimmer, and he found the right spot to leap I guess... Yikes.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's help along the way, but sadly I will not be setting this tank up. There are many factors, and I feel it's the right thing for my wife and I (mostly my OCD paranoia, and her tired of dealing with it lol).. BUT, the show must go on, and I will be doing a non-drilled 40 breeder setup in lieu of this monstrosity that I could not follow through to fruition... Once again, thank everyone for their help, and I can only hope you all will help me through my 40!

If anyone is still following along here, my 40 breeder is set up and waiting for some cloudiness from the new sand to settle.. Here's a couple pics...

image-1550063837.jpg

Pic of empty tank, then with light hung and 60 lbs of sand...

Now filled up with about 20 gallons of water waiting to settle...

Attachments

• image-1364520487.jpg
    image-1364520487.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 88
I used Aragonite dry sand, and thought I rinsed it well enough but apparently not. My water is super cloudy... Should I put a HOB filter on there with some filter floss packed in or something like that? What's a good way to clear it up? I'm afraid if I just let it settle with no mechanical filtration, it will just stir it all up and be cloudy once the power heads are turned on...

Back
Top Bottom