Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank upgrade!! 8-)

Just scored a 75 gallon in a trade with a buddy, and need some advice on the transfer. I see varied opinions when it comes to moving substrate over, and that is my main concern. I
plan on moving the fish into buckets with a power head and heater, and then using the old tank water in the new tank as well ( I know it's not necessary, but will make it easier)... And then putting the live rock in buckets as well. I'll then set up the new tank where the old one was... And then?? Should I move the old live sand in, then add rocks, then water, then fish after everything settles? I'm worried about an ammonia spike... I read the live rock holds most of the BB anyways, so can I just go and get some pool filter sand, and have that seeded by the live rock? If so, how long will it take for the tank to be ready to transfer the animals? This is all so confusing help please!! Thanx!

Old 08-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would not use pool sand get u some good substrate to make up the differense in the tank size..I used my old substrate but I cleaned it first befor adding it with the new substrate..I have a lot of rock and a low bio load and I never got any spike at all

Old 08-31-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

So I CAN use my old substrate? If so I was going to get 2 more bags of Caribsea Fiji pink, which is what's in there now... Do I NEED to rinse the sand, I feel like it will get rid of a hefty amount of BB??
Old 08-31-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If u don't rinse it u could have nitrate proublems is rinse it add it with the new and yur substrate will be like New sand again if u have plenty of seeded liverock already u should not have a cycle and if u do it will be min
Old 08-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well if I use a net to remove the sand, it will kind of rinse it if there's still a couple inches of water in the tank... I'm not gonna rinse it with tap water. I suppose I could have a bucket of RODI to dip it into before putting it into the new tank...
Old 08-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I rinsed mine with tap then once again with.rodi then put it in my tank everything worked out good
Old 08-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any other thought from people who have transferred tanks??
Old 08-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol i transfered my tank in a very differant way. I used media from my old tank to cycle the new tank and filled it with water, new sand, and baserock. When the cycle was bearly complete i removed a few pounds of live rock a day from the old tank into the new tank. I did this to prevent an ammonia spike in the old tank. Then i acclimated 1 fish and added him to the new tank. When he did ok the next day i drip acclimated all my fish/coral/inverts into the new tank.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
Lol i transfered my tank in a very differant way. I used media from my old tank to cycle the new tank and filled it with water, new sand, and baserock. When the cycle was bearly complete i removed a few pounds of live rock a day from the old tank into the new tank. I did this to prevent an ammonia spike in the old tank. Then i acclimated 1 fish and added him to the new tank. When he did ok the next day i drip acclimated all my fish/coral/inverts into the new tank.
There's gotta be a quicker way lol...
Old 08-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer

There's gotta be a quicker way lol...
Haha ya im sure there is, i just didnt want to risk any of my fish dying...

Tags
tan, tank upgrade, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com