Tankmate: Antennata Lion, 40B

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrPillow

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright kiddos, here's the deal.

In a little while I'll be able to finally get back into the aquarium trade and will be doing up a FOWLR in a 40b. Originally I had planned for the lone inhabitant to be a antennata lionfish, however the woman has decided she doesn't like the lionfish very much and has, more or less, demanded, that I put a "pretty" fish in the tank too.

I don't really have the option to upgrade tank size at this point. Just wanted to know if anyone had any good ideas of stereotypically pretty, woman friendly fish that would be able to co-inhabit with the lion. The lion will be roughly 3-4" when he arrives.

Let me know

Cheers!

- Byron

AusAaron said:
How bout a harlequin tusk or clown trigger

Those get way too big for a 40 breeder. Mr pillow you need a fish that gets at least 5 inches to be pretty much safe from being eaten. If it was me I would get the lion and a flame angel and call the tank stocked.

You can do what I'm doing. This is my lion I added last night. Now looking at a Valentini, Fiji, or blue spot Toby puffer. They only get 4-5 inchs, packed with personality. That would be your best choice!

Hondatek said:
Those get way too big for a 40 breeder. Mr pillow you need a fish that gets at least 5 inches to be pretty much safe from being eaten. If it was me I would get the lion and a flame angel and call the tank stocked.

Oh yeah. sorry didn't take in the size. my bad. That's my stock list for my tank plus an eel. Love lions

Readingexcalibur said:
You can do what I'm doing. This is my lion I added last night. Now looking at a Valentini, Fiji, or blue spot Toby puffer. They only get 4-5 inchs, packed with personality. That would be your best choice!

Nice lion

Thanks for the comment.

I'm talking to Flreefer. He has experience with the toby puffers. He may chime in and say if this is a good idea or not. :)

Unfortunately I don't really think the puffers fit the "pretty" bill, at least not to the housemate :lol:

Right now I'm leaning towards some variety of butterfly fish.

Thank's for the help guys!

I am also looking at the dwarf flame angel, but have read on WWM that they will harass and injure lionfish. Anyone have personal experience with this pairing/phenomenon? I would like first hand accounts, not heresay please.

Cheers!
- Byron

MrPillow said:
Unfortunately I don't really think the puffers fit the "pretty" bill, at least not to the housemate :lol:

Right now I'm leaning towards some variety of butterfly fish.

Thank's for the help guys!

Well, we're all entitled to opinions. The flame angel is one of the prettiest fish around IMO. However, look at a blue spot Fiji puffer, and tell my that isn't a quality looking fish. Lol. I'm too opinionated sometimes. Whatever you get, I'm interested in pictures! :)

A dwarfie flame is gonna injure and harass a lion? Lol. If it did, it would either get stung and die, or be eaten. I'd be more worried about the lil flamey.

I found that Dwarf Angels love to pic at long fins. This may either physically hurt the lion of stress him out to disease. The lion would not eat, hurt, impale, ect the angel. They don't have that type of temperament. I think it would be a hit or miss scenario really.

I don't truly agree that the chart will help in this scenario. Because it has that middle scenario of "may get along". I think anything can be a hit or miss.

I agree, I have not been able to find any decent evidence of any pairings that will certainly work. I imagine I'll just have to forge the trail and take a risk in some direction!

I have been doing google searches, post searches, looking on other forums. It would seem dwarf lions are common, but nobody had any input in what is compatible. Again, I'm going with a hit or miss scenario.

port Jackson shark. they can be kept in a minimum of 170g tank, no probs. I've seen both get along well

Back
Top Bottom