Tanks without LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shortysteve23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Know we have forums for tanks but didn't want to bother skimming through every photo so can you guys who have tanks without LR post pics so I can see I'm thinking of getting rid of my rocks for space

Live rocks are a very important part of the biological filter of a saltwater aquarium. You could always put them in your sump.

Live rock is at least 80% of your filtration. It is a vital component in any system. Although technically they do take up some volume, they more than make up for it with what they provide in filtration and hiding places. Fish without places to hide are destined for illness due to the amount of stress this causes. I have seen it happen over and over in sales tanks that are typically kept with minimal rock so that the fish are easier to see and sell.

To me taking the live rock out would be as bad as simply never doing a water change ever again, guaranteed to put the tank on the path to failure.

For years my brother-in-law had a SW aquarium without liverock, had fake corals, sump and HOB filter. He started the tank like this and it worked for him. But I would be leary taking the rock out in an established tank. What works for one may be heartache for another.

It could only work if you have a deep sand bed, big tank and only a few fish.

I have blue tang 4 clowns 2 damsels and a angel "flame" and a yellow goby, also a queen conch that's what's making me think about the switch up of rocks for space

The fish need rock work, no way around it. Leave it be.

Good luck having the damsels in there.

My damsels are fine no problems I've had the set up for about 7 months now

Likle has been said live rock is key. But it can be done without but if u do it I would provide for filtration with a way over rated skimmer and filter. And provide your fish with hiding places. Fake plants coral rock etc. Also deepen your sand bed. If u do it. I would take some of that live rock off ur hands and pay shipping. I need more rubble for my fuge. But I strongly advise against it.

I currently have a 40 breeder w ten yellowtail and two domino damsels , one coral beauty and three black mollies, NO LIVE ROCK, plastic plants,, NO skimmerstwo 110 aquaclears w biomedia and polyfilter, no water changes in three months, Fish get along very little aggression, no staking out territories and thye fish eat like pigs and are healthy. I did this as an experiment after keepiong reefs for twenty yrs w all the live rock, skimmers, sumps, ETC ETC. So it works think of aquarium store tanks, sparsely decortaed and fish in numbers,the tank has been set since july this year not one loss. The water is crystal clear and the fish show no sign of stress or problems, maybe not what we have been told or taught but truth be told after all the bells and whistles I could not be more pleased w results and the ease of and lack of major Financial expenditure, knowledge and patince is the key. Maybe not for everybody but it works!

Do you guys have pics of your tanks? I saw a pic with LR on the top part of the tank not touching the sand look pretty cool too.

That is nice, but I would never recommend it to anybody. Maybe specify that anyone with 30+ years of experience and multiple advanced degrees may try it, but you presented it otherwise.

Use live rock, especially if you already have it.

Granted LIVE ROCK is the way to go and I would recommned it for multiple reasons especially for novices and anyone ,.just remember we are all in this together Peace

Lol @ you guys this is funny but with all do respect I respect both of your points of views. I already paid for the rock and have it in my tank so I was just asking. How long does it take for the Caroline algae to grow? I have few specks here and there on Rock but not much I also have few copepods on rocks as well my fish have been eating them.

Back
Top Bottom