Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am using tap water with my fish only. Have cheato in the sump and I am not measuring a whole lot if phosphates.

If I am using .06 LEDs an measuring a grand total of 3.6w of light for the whole tank (low light for my lion). Given the slightly informative variables. Do you think this is a problem (algae, ect). I've read previous threads on why tap w/ declor is bad. But a low light situation may not create an issue. I do not have and Trates/ammonia in my water per API master test kit.

As always, i appreciate your input and wanted to thank you in advance. My reef tank gets RO/di but algae is a bear in that thing otherwise (thank you emerald crabs for cleaning it out)haha.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

A lot of folks have success using tap water, especially in a FO tank.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I personally think that Tap in a FO should be OK. The only problem is that tap water does have lots of nitrates in it. You might not see it in your tests because it is using it up as fast as you are putting it in there. Believe me that they are in tap. I work for a large water municipality and know what it takes to purify water. If you are having algea problems then I would start using walmart RO water or get a RODI unit.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you, I have an RO/DI unit. The reason I choose not to use it is because I live in the desert. Not only is water expensive and the RO unit has 1-3 ratio. But also it's extremely hard water and the membrane and di doesn't last very long at all. I use it on my 30g nano reef.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384
A lot of folks have success using tap water, especially in a FO tank.
Yeah, I keep hearing mixed reviews so I want to be sure. I understand why pure water is more important.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I use tap water in my fowlr tank. We have the worst water in the state. When I do my water changes every two weeks my nitrates are around 40 ppm
Old 06-23-2012, 01:47 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones1483
I use tap water in my fowlr tank. We have the worst water in the state. When I do my water changes every two weeks my nitrates are around 40 ppm
Hey Jones, I have the same situation here in Southern Indiana.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:05 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

What do you consider a lot of phosphates. If given the nutrients algae will grow with any light what so ever. Doesnt matter how dim they are.

Your tap could very well be the source of phosphates.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism
What do you consider a lot of phosphates. If given the nutrients algae will grow with any light what so ever. Doesnt matter how dim they are.

Your tap could very well be the source of phosphates.
Hey schism! Well at this point, my sump which is running a uv light for the cheato is covered in diatom on the sand bed. However, the display tank with the cheapest leds money can buy has 0 algae. This to me would suggest that the lights play a huge role.

Are you saying that it is only a matter of time before the algae comes? I know I have a good amount of phosphates in my tap. I did an emergency WC on my reef once, and I had a huge hairline bloom.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readingexcalibur

Hey schism! Well at this point, my sump which is running a uv light for the cheato is covered in diatom on the sand bed. However, the display tank with the cheapest leds money can buy has 0 algae. This to me would suggest that the lights play a huge role.

Are you saying that it is only a matter of time before the algae comes? I know I have a good amount of phosphates in my tap. I did an emergency WC on my reef once, and I had a huge hairline bloom.
Well im sure your sump has less light than your display. But i would say the algae bloom in your sump is absorbing the nutrients before algae in your tank gets the chance right now, but that can easily change. There are things you can do to easily lower the phosphate even with the tap you are using like GFO.

Any significant phosphate will spur algae growth.

Ive grown handfuls of hair algae in a dark room that only got sporadic fluorescent lights from the room light on the ceiling. It only takes a bit of stray light to grow algae. However i would imagine if you switch to different lighting you would have a huge problem on your hand.

I would either switch to RO or atleast get a gfo reactor or some phosphate binding additive/media so it cant bind to form algae.

I would do something atleast before it took real hold of the whole system.

Tags
tap water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com