Tap water all that bad?!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tacos377

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have always known that tap water is not prefered in the aquarium even if its treated. However, if corals are not part of the equation in a FOWLR tank, is it possible to treat tap water and not have giant problems beside algea here and there? I haven't used any tap water yet, but am getting lazy.

I have always known that tap water is not prefered in the aquarium even if its treated. However, if corals are not part of the equation in a FOWLR tank, is it possible to treat tap water and not have giant problems beside algea here and there? I haven't used any tap water yet, but am getting lazy.

Are you saying to use tap and NOT treat it? I wouldn't do it. If your getting too lazy to just treat your water then maybe take a step back and reevaluate what it is you really wanna do as far as fish keeping.

Or are you saying not using RO/DI water?

I'm just saying not using rodi water. I would treat the water with a declorinizer and a stabilizer/conditioner before I put it in the tank. Would I be better off with grocery store or distilled? My lfs rips me off on rodi.

I'm just saying not using rodi water. I would treat the water with a declorinizer and a stabilizer/conditioner before I put it in the tank. Would I be better off with grocery store or distilled? My lfs rips me off on rodi.

I know a lot of people that use distilled water. I use it for top offs. I also know people that use tap water and treat it.

I know everyone has an opinion. My friend has a Red Sea max and he's been using tap from day 1.

It does depend where you are. However, some tap can have things like copper which can harm some fish, like angels. It also harms inverts. As you mentioned you can have algae problems, Higher nitrates and phosphates which can also harm fish.
Many say that tap water issues don't show up for a year+ down the road.
Not recommended, but yes there are people who use it for fowlr.

I bet for the price you paid for the RO water at lfs you could of bought your own ro/di system. I would suggest keep using ro/di water. Your local water company can add things at anytime to treat the supply and they don't have to inform the public when they do. I wouldn't risk it.

As I stated on a similar thread you will not see anything happen right away except maybe some diatoms from the silicates. I do work for a large water municipality and I do know what we use and most other places use. It takes a good while for the ammonia, nitrates and heavy metals to accumulate and when it reaches a certain point then we usually see a crash. It`s best not to use tap as these heavy metals that are used to pull down particles in filtrating water can not be removed. I have an article in the SW articles section that explains the process. Better to not put them in your tank.

Distilled water should be just as good in a saltwater system as RO/DI, but is usually more expensive. If your LFS is charging more for RO/DI that the grocery store charges for distilled, they are ripping people off.

Trueerfan said:
I bet for the price you paid for the RO water at lfs you could of bought your own ro/di system. I would suggest keep using ro/di water. Your local water company can add things at anytime to treat the supply and they don't have to inform the public when they do. I wouldn't risk it.

X2
Depending on the size of the tank, you could spend in a month buying water what it would cost to get a cheap RODI system that would last years. If money's a problem there are cheaper systems out. www.purewaterclub.com is very low priced, and for decent systems. I paid $100 for a 100gpd system about 2 years ago cuz I got sick of paying for water, and I've saved a fortune.

Just something to look into.

Back
Top Bottom