Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-20-2006, 10:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
tap water filter?

i was online looking at ro/di units and i stumbled across a "tap water filter." Im pretty sure it wont be as effective as RO but seeing as it is only $30 and i am on a low budget it seems like it might be worth it. My question is, will it even do enough to make a difference and has anyone had a good/bad experience with these? didnt see a name but i found it on the dr. foster and smith site if anyone is interested. thanks.

FishAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to neoginn
Hey post a pic of it, and a link to website.

neoginn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
You would be wise to hold off on this purchase. Save up for a little while longer and invest in a reverse osmosis unit. You will not be sorry you waited.
Fish do not read books, nor care what we think.
afishyonados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:48 AM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I agree wait on the RO and maybe even a RO/DI.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
I agree as well...MUCH more benefit from a RO/DI filter then the tap water filter.
here is a good site, www.thefilterguys.biz
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 10:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
unfortunately, thats what i thought too but i figured i would double check. thanks again.
FishAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
DO NOT waste your money on a "tap water filter" -- 99% positive that will only be a carbon reactive filtering unit used to make tap water "taste clean". It'll last two weeks before you have to replace the carbon.

You can find a 4-6 stage RO/DI unit on eBay that'll do the job just perfectly. Just make sure they supply an appropriate website to purchase replacement filters from (maybe be a good deal but if you can't replace the RO piece its worthless after 6 months -- or less depending on how frequently you're using it).

Typically these will run you $100-150. This is what my step-father got.

I personally drop the $3.50 on two 10g bottles of 5-stage filtered water from the machine in front of the local HEB (grocery store) every 10-15 days (~$300/yr. thus proving its cheaper to buy an RO unit with $45 in replacement parts every 6-9 months -- I can't get an RO/DI unit as my apartment complex would kick my butt if I broke any of the plumbing; pay enough in insurance for the fish tank ).

schoeplein is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, tap water, water filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com