Tap Water to RO/DI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright guys need some advice on how to make the transition from Tap water to RO/DI water? I want to do a PWC change on the weekend my unit should be here either today or tomorrow. Just wondering if I should do a 50% change or a 90% water change. I also want to use a Different salt mix. I decide to good with Red Sea Coral Pro salt mix since it's alvailable at Petsmart for $15.99 for a 50 gallon bucket. Will it hurt to change over to a different salt mix all at once or should I slowly work it in my water changes?

Let me know

Is this tank just cycling or do you have inhabitants in it? 90% is very much overkill unless you have an emergency. I would begin with 25% water changes every other week with your new salt since most problems, imo, probably stem from altered mineral influx when changing salt brands drastically.

Um. no my Tank is established. I have 2 clowns and 1 damsel and snails and hermits nothing big yeah just getting ready in the next couple months to start adding Coral...

I agree with James on the 25%. Personally I would never do a 90% PWC. You`ll mess up the water chemistry with a big water change like that. You could round it up to 10 gallons if you are making it in 5 gallon buckets like I do.

ok, the accountant in me has to kick in a comment here.....25% of a 55 gallon tank would be 13.75 gallons.

Now, if you don't mind Tank I'd like to hijack this thread for just a second to add a question.

I do a 20% pwc each week on both tanks. I've always calculated my pwc's on the total....including the volumn of the sump. Is this correct?

For example....I have a 72 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump....therefore; I'm assuming that if I wanted to do a 20%pwc I'd do 18.4 gallons?

I'm sorry! It's a numbers thing with me....a sickness of sorts. LOL

You are correct MsBeanCtr... figure in your sump volume with your tank volume.

And Tank2379... I'd agree with a 20-25% change using the new water/salt.

Well if you really want to get technical, you don't have 92 total gallons unless your tank has no rock, sand or anything else that takes up volume and your sump is filled to the top. :)

How would I know when all my water is RO/DI? I guess it kind of the dumiest question ever i take after a few PWC changes...LOL DUH :bowl:

Back
Top Bottom