tap water to top of tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loki4711

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
is it ok to use treated tapwater to top of the tank? I use AmQuel plus it removes nitrate, nitrate ammonia, chlorine and chloramines. Is there anything better to use? any recommendations?
tia
Loki

If you have high quality tap water than using it for top offs or for the base to mix up new saltwater is fine. The truth is that alot of us do not have high quality tap water so we prefer to use either RO water from a LFS, filtered water from a grocery store or to filter our tap water with a RO or RO/DI filter. Ultimatly there are often times things in our water that we dont activly test for that can affect the quality of our water in the tanks. A few things that come up most often is trace ammounts of copper, and phosphates.

How much does a decent RO filter setup cost? I wouldn't mind having one for my tanks and for drinking water. RO water would be exactly the same thing as most bottled water out there.

I wouldnt classify RO water as bing equivlint to bottled water. Most of the branded bottled water acutally has stuff addded back to the water for 'flavor or taste'. Folks who drink bottled water have this idea that its supposed to have a flavor. Super clean water has no taste.

I have heard folks getting RO units from ebay for $100-$150 range. In addition a few of our sponsors stock very good quality RO filters. Some with inline TDS meters. The TDS meter is good so you gave a better idea when your membranes are running out and need replaced.

what kind/ brand of bottled water would u recomend? destilled water? or can i use fresh RO water from the LFS to top off or ajust SG?

dont use water that has adjusted sg. Use fresh water with no salt for top offs. The water will evaporate but the salt remains so fresh water will bring the proper sg back. I use distilled water from the bottle and have no complaints.

Back
Top Bottom