Temp too high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
My temperture was 89 degreeF, but the water currents was quite strong, will fishes able to survive this way? I have a FOWLR tank, and no corals and invertabrates are intend to place in. I do no wish to buy a chiller or place ice bottles in the tank, as I don't want the temp to rise and drop when ice melted. Cas I'm afraid the great change in temp can cause harm to fishes. I haven't buy any fishes at the moment.

but the water currents was quite strong, will fishes able to survive this way?

For some time they will, but you really need to get the temp down to around 80-84 and stable. The higher temps will outright kill some species and drastically shorten the life of others. Such a stress will also weaken your fishes immune system opening them up to disease.

Have you tried fans? May be a cheap alternatives to a chiller. Also, what kind of lighting and how high is it off the tank. Does it have an open back. I put fans on my sump when it gets really hot in the summer but only run fans in the hood in the winter months. Fans force evaporation, which cools the water.

Hi, if I were to put a fan, how much temp can it bring down? Currently is 89 degreeF, so am I able to bring it down to a temp that fishes can survived? And regarding cooling fan, will it able to bring down temp for the whole tank? Or just the surface?

I don't think a fan will be enough, having only a FOWLR sounds to me as though you don't have intense lighting and thus the heat is most likely caused by the location of the tank in a hot room. IMO, a fan would only buy you a few degrees in this situation but won't be able to break the ambient temperature of the room. As the ° goes up, the oxygen content of the water goes down and I don't think at this rate the tank could house any fish.

Any chance to move the tank to a cooler location, or even install an air conditioner in the room?

Actually its not the atmosphere that causes the temp to increase, its because I placed a 500 gal/hr powerhead that causes this, the temp of our tap water is 83 degreeF, as maxis-jet is too expensive if I were to buy the same strength. I bought this 500 gal/hr powerhead at the lower price than maxis-jet 600, and yet the strength is stronger, but it creates heat, haiz. I think I should buy either a cooling fan or consider changing to maxis-jet. BTW what number of maxis-jet should I get in order to get ethe same strength as this powerhead? And does maxis-jet really doesn't creates heat?

Back
Top Bottom