temperature and salinity concensus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KLN

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is there a concensus on the best temperature and salinity for a reef tank?

Peeley said:
xenia cant go much over 80 and i have one, so i keep it on 78 in case the temp fluctuates.

my xenia is thriving at 82-83...covering the back of my 175 gallon. Salinity kept at 35

I'm 82F at 35ppt

This shows how poorly Xenia does at 82F...

xenia020211.jpg

are these temperatures the same as temperatures for just a FO tank or FOWLR tank???

should the temp be around 80 for all marine tanks?

Keep in mind that there are many species of Xenia from different locations and parameters, mine also do fine in higher temperatures.

Temps: 82-83°, 78-80°
SG: 1.023-1.026

scubasteve said:
are these temperatures the same as temperatures for just a FO tank or FOWLR tank???

should the temp be around 80 for all marine tanks?

I believe you need to evaluate your livestock and where they came from and research the local conditions there.

I don't believe there is one right answer and therefore no concensus will ever happen.

In the 70's (when I started in the hobby) we found that animals died slower and grew slower at lower temperatures like 78F. Through research and experimentation I've had best success at 82 - 84F and full seawater Salinity (35ppt).

In addition I believe that overstocked tanks will fare better at the lower temps but it's far better to lightly stock your tank.

I keep my Reef tank between 80-82 at 35ppt... My Xenia grows like a weed... It is back again and to the point where I cannot get rid of it fast enough.. Lucky for me I have it in its own little area.. I have not had any problems even when i was running my tank between 82-84..

HTH<
James

Back
Top Bottom