Terrible phone call

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a phone call from my wife that my daughter just threw a dirty mop into my Tank..... What should I do....

Thats the thing I Just did a Water change this past weekend and I was going to prepared some more tonight when I got home.... it was a dry mop no soap.... but she put the whole dang thing in there.....

I trust your wife was able to get it out quickly?

Does your wife know how to mix up water for you? She could get some started and you could finish it up when you got home and do a major PWC. Hopefully she was able to get it out quickly and not much got into the water. Soap is a bad thing in a fish tank. I really hope your tank is ok.

If this were my tank, run a huge amount of carbon and at least a 50% if not eventually 100% water change. I agree, have your wife make sw for you.

Um yeah that's not going to happen I am home now I will let you know what happens They look ok but they are swimming on the bottom which isn't like them to do that.....

Carbon I have none I guess I am going thru my first bad experience..... I will try to go to petsmart and see if I pick some up...

Petsmart or even walmart in the pet section sells GAC. If you can pick up a phosban reactor or something like it and run a large amount of Carbon in it that would help.

I've got my fingers crossed!

You may be in luck since the mop was dry. It would do a whole lot of absorbing of water and wouldn't release much back into the tank until it was almost saturated. If you wife got it out quickly enough it probably didn't leach to much into the tank. Really hope everything turns out ok for you.

You may be in luck since the mop was dry. It would do a whole lot of absorbing of water and wouldn't release much back into the tank until it was almost saturated. If you wife got it out quickly enough it probably didn't leach to much into the tank. Really hope everything turns out ok for you.

Well Petsmart didn't have anything I was looking for and my LFS i normally go to is way across town..... Not enough TIME i didn't wan to waste anymore time by hurting them if there was any hard chemicals in the tank but yet again not having an ro/di unit hurts 2 but I went ahead and did a PWC and I just got done looks like they are doing ok as of right now they are swimming fine and hopefully everything is going to be ok..... I also matched u the water temp almost perfect so they would be into to much shock with everything that has happen to them today.... I will let you guys know in a few more hrs how they are doing.... :D

Thanks everyone for the ideas and concerns:-D:silly:

Oh...I misread your post. Ebay is your friend! I got mine for less then $100 shipped. It is a great investment.

Oh...I misread your post. Ebay is your friend! I got mine for less then $100 shipped. It is a great investment.

Well hopefully the worst is over I will be checking on my water parameter from now til tomorrow make sure everything would be ok and I will do another PWC change in 3 days or maybe if you guys recommend earlier....

If this had happened to me I would be doing a PWC every day until I had completely replaced the water in my system.

I would be prepared to do another tomorrow. Keep an eye on your live stock and if things start to change be ready to do another. Testing your water is a good idea but who knows what could have gotten in there. I don't know if the test kits we use would find anything or not.

If this had happened to me I would be doing a PWC every day until I had completely replaced the water in my system.

I would be prepared to do another tomorrow. Keep an eye on your live stock and if things start to change be ready to do another. Testing your water is a good idea but who knows what could have gotten in there. I don't know if the test kits we use would find anything or not.

Great I will prepare another batch of water tonight before I got to bed and do another change tomorrow... Thanks guys for all the suggestions and help you guys been great today...

Back
Top Bottom