Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-20-2005, 06:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Test kits

Hi everyone. Well, I finally have water in my 55 FOWLR, it's at 79 degrees, sg at 1.023 and will be adding 25# cured LR this sat. My HOB w/bio has been running all week. Installing two MJ1200 this weekend. AquaC Remora installed but won't run till this baby is cycled. Im excited, yet nervous!
I took a sample of water to one LFS and he said my pH was a bit high. I went to another and he said it was perfect but I had traces of Nitrite. There is nothing alive or dead. Just new coral sand fresh out of the bags.
I am not worried much but feel I'll just trust my own tests in the future.
Any reccomended brands/types?
Should I get a whole kit or separates?
I learned enough so far to test for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH. Anything else?
How often?
Sorry for so many questions but I want to cover the gamut of testing.
BTW, we have wonderful water out of the tap here in Portland.

Thank you in advance.
bluejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 08:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I tried 3 different test kits, Seachem, quick-dip strips, and now the hagen master kit.

The hagen is by far the easiest and accurate, IMO.

I got it from ebay, $50.00 or so, came in a hard carrying case with:
NO2, NO3, AMM, PO4, Iron, PH, CA, kH.
It works great, even has a set-up inside the case for putting the test tubes. Most take 2-5 mins, but the ammonia takes 20 to complete.

I think it will do around 75 tests each.

I would buy another one.

"Okay brain - you don't like me and I don't like you, so lets just get through this and then I can continue killing you with alcohol" --Homer Jay Simpson
logman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
My experience has shown that SeaChem kits are more accurate than Hagen, Aquarium Pharm, and Red Sea.

SeaChem or SaliFert test kits are preferred. If you wanna spend a lot of money you can look at LaMotte and Hach brands which are as close to labratory accuracy as the home consumer can get.
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote

test, test kits

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com