Test kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluejam

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone. Well, I finally have water in my 55 FOWLR, it's at 79 degrees, sg at 1.023 and will be adding 25# cured LR this sat. My HOB w/bio has been running all week. Installing two MJ1200 this weekend. AquaC Remora installed but won't run till this baby is cycled. Im excited, yet nervous!
I took a sample of water to one LFS and he said my pH was a bit high. I went to another and he said it was perfect but I had traces of Nitrite. There is nothing alive or dead. Just new coral sand fresh out of the bags.
I am not worried much but feel I'll just trust my own tests in the future.
Any reccomended brands/types?
Should I get a whole kit or separates?
I learned enough so far to test for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH. Anything else?
How often?
Sorry for so many questions but I want to cover the gamut of testing.
BTW, we have wonderful water out of the tap here in Portland.

FWIW-

I tried 3 different test kits, Seachem, quick-dip strips, and now the hagen master kit.

The hagen is by far the easiest and accurate, IMO.

I got it from ebay, $50.00 or so, came in a hard carrying case with:
NO2, NO3, AMM, PO4, Iron, PH, CA, kH.
It works great, even has a set-up inside the case for putting the test tubes. Most take 2-5 mins, but the ammonia takes 20 to complete.

I think it will do around 75 tests each.

I would buy another one.

-Logan

My experience has shown that SeaChem kits are more accurate than Hagen, Aquarium Pharm, and Red Sea.

SeaChem or SaliFert test kits are preferred. If you wanna spend a lot of money you can look at LaMotte and Hach brands which are as close to labratory accuracy as the home consumer can get.

Back
Top Bottom