test kits ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldfishead

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi everyone:
currently i use AQUARIUM PHARM. test kits.
i test for:
ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
ph
i also test water temp. and s.g.
2 ques. in your oppinions are these kits good or should i purchase another brand ? next , are there anyother tests i should be doing ??

your advice please !!!! --- oldfishead

I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals and have no qualms. With FOWLR, no calcium test is really needed. You may want an alkalinity kit, possibly phosphates. Not absolutely needed, IMHO.

HTH

I also use the aquarium Pharm I like mine Ph is sometimes difficult to use but other wise I think they are easy to use for the beginner to the advanced . But would recommend the phosphate kit this will help you get a finger on something should it be out of line and to be able to nip it in the bud right from the start ...No other tests needed unless you go with corals .

could someone explain to me the effects phosphates have on our water or how it effects our livestock ???
i'm not lazy , i'm trying to do my own reaserch too. i'm old and not very computer savey !!!!

OLDfishead !!!!!! time for my nap !!!!!

ALk and Phospahates would be the 2 I would add.

High Phosphates will cause large algae blooms that will turn your tank ugly quick.

Alk is important to monitor to keep the PH stable.

For your purpose AP is fine. I use Red Sea. There are higher grade kits like Sailfert and a few others but for FOWLR you should be fine. JMO

so phosphates will cause no harm to livestock !!!
is the s.g. the same as ALK. ???

i apologize if these ques. sound stupid !!!

thank you all for your patience and understanding !!!!!

oldfishead

My me (a newbie) to answer this.

Phosphate is like nitrate. Will not harm fishes but will harm corals or inverts. No problem for high nitrate or phosphate in a FOWLR tank IMO but they will cause algae issues. I think PWC will be the best way to rid these 2.

ALK has got nothing to do with specific gravity. SG shows amount of salt in the water, how salty the water is where as ALK shows how HARD the water is I think. ALK has got something to do with Carborate Hardness and these 2 have direct effect to pH. They will cause pH to fluctuates IMO.

Did I say that right, anyone? Sorry still new only have 13 months experience keeping a nano FULL with corals.

If your alkalinity isn't up to par, your pH will swing. Alkalinity measures your waters buffering capacity, meaning how well it absorbs things that try and change the pH, if that makes sense.

I think the major role that phosphates play in your water is in algae. Fish can handle phosphates just fine, as corals can, but in excessive levels (not very common, unless you overfeed ALOT) they can be harmful.

All in all, if you keep with regular water changes, I don't think you'll ever have a problem with alkalinity issues. Phosphate I would test for periodically, especially if you will be using tap water.

thanks everyone for the advice !!
i do do" i made a funny" wk. p.w.c. my parms. are stable small issue with nitrates 20-30
ph. is always steady at 8.2
i do use WELL water & test it , small issue with hardness
according to things i'm picking up from this form, i think i,m on the right track
you've made a believer out of me about F.W.C.

thank you all for this advice--- oldfishead

"i love this stuff"

I used the AQUARIUM PHARM a few months ago, I didn't have a problem with the company

Back
Top Bottom