Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 2
Test Kits and Feeding

Hello,
I am brand spanking new to Saltwater as of about 3 weeks ago. Decided to buy a 200 gallon custom build and now I am cycling the tank with 5 triggers and an eel. Until I get comfortable I have maintenance done each month where I have someone come in and do everything that needs to get done. I want to be proactive with the fish I have now and I wanted to know what tests I need to do on a regular basis? (IE ph and nitrate tests) So that I can identify any possible issues

Also any advice on feeding. Right now I thaw out these shrimp and these tiny fish. Then they eat them. I was told when they spit out food they are done eating.
__________________

__________________
dougedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
SeanMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougedoug
Hello,
I am brand spanking new to Saltwater as of about 3 weeks ago. Decided to buy a 200 gallon custom build and now I am cycling the tank with 5 triggers and an eel. Until I get comfortable I have maintenance done each month where I have someone come in and do everything that needs to get done. I want to be proactive with the fish I have now and I wanted to know what tests I need to do on a regular basis? (IE ph and nitrate tests) So that I can identify any possible issues

Also any advice on feeding. Right now I thaw out these shrimp and these tiny fish. Then they eat them. I was told when they spit out food they are done eating.
Welcome to the hobby. I'm sure everyone will say the same thing here. You are supposed to cycle the tank before fish go in it. Ammonia is the first compound in the nitrogen cycle and is extremely toxic to fish. You need to test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Ammonia and nitrites should be zero before fish go in the tank. You should ask your lfs more questions but if they told you it was ok to put those fish in, you need to find a new lfs.

Also, if the fish don't finish all food that is put in the tank within about a minute, you are over feeding. You don't want fish to leave food uneaten. The rotting food creates ammonia.
__________________

__________________
SeanMonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
crister13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 3,473
Get the fish out please. They will almost surely die. Ammonia and nitrites are EXTREMELY toxic.
__________________
crister13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 2
I had the tank running for 2 days before the fish went in. Think I got my terminology wrong. Fish have been in there for 3 weeks already.
__________________
dougedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
SeanMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougedoug
I had the tank running for 2 days before the fish went in. Think I got my terminology wrong. Fish have been in there for 3 weeks already.
Tank should cycle for several weeks before fish go in. My tank was up for 6 weeks before fish went in.
__________________
SeanMonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 454
thats why they always try to sell you clowns or damsels cause they're hardy.i did it when i first started but didnt no better.mines been cycling for months and im ready to get my fish
__________________
dwint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 198
Adding 6 fish before your tank has cycled is not a good idea. Even when your tank has cycled, you should only add 2 fish maximum at a time and waiting anywhere from 4-6 weeks in between fish. You will need to purchase a test kit. Besides what others have already mentioned I would recommend phosphate and calcium tests as well. At our store you have to buy them separately they don't come in the kit.
Cycling in my opinion, is live rock and live sand for 4-6 weeks. Or at minimum until your ammonia level is at 0 after it has spiked.
__________________
lovefishys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 454
tank has been cycled for months and all parimeters are perfect.i only plan on buying fish once a month.had this tank running over a year till a disease.this this time i will quarantine
__________________
dwint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
SeanMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwint
tank has been cycled for months and all parimeters are perfect.i only plan on buying fish once a month.had this tank running over a year till a disease.this this time i will quarantine
I think Chelsea was referring to the original poster.
__________________

__________________
SeanMonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
feeding, test, test kits

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.