Test Kits and Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougedoug

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I am brand spanking new to Saltwater as of about 3 weeks ago. Decided to buy a 200 gallon custom build and now I am cycling the tank with 5 triggers and an eel. Until I get comfortable I have maintenance done each month where I have someone come in and do everything that needs to get done. I want to be proactive with the fish I have now and I wanted to know what tests I need to do on a regular basis? (IE ph and nitrate tests) So that I can identify any possible issues

Also any advice on feeding. Right now I thaw out these shrimp and these tiny fish. Then they eat them. I was told when they spit out food they are done eating.

dougedoug said:
Hello,
I am brand spanking new to Saltwater as of about 3 weeks ago. Decided to buy a 200 gallon custom build and now I am cycling the tank with 5 triggers and an eel. Until I get comfortable I have maintenance done each month where I have someone come in and do everything that needs to get done. I want to be proactive with the fish I have now and I wanted to know what tests I need to do on a regular basis? (IE ph and nitrate tests) So that I can identify any possible issues

Also any advice on feeding. Right now I thaw out these shrimp and these tiny fish. Then they eat them. I was told when they spit out food they are done eating.

Welcome to the hobby. I'm sure everyone will say the same thing here. You are supposed to cycle the tank before fish go in it. Ammonia is the first compound in the nitrogen cycle and is extremely toxic to fish. You need to test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Ammonia and nitrites should be zero before fish go in the tank. You should ask your lfs more questions but if they told you it was ok to put those fish in, you need to find a new lfs.

Also, if the fish don't finish all food that is put in the tank within about a minute, you are over feeding. You don't want fish to leave food uneaten. The rotting food creates ammonia.

I had the tank running for 2 days before the fish went in. Think I got my terminology wrong. Fish have been in there for 3 weeks already.

dougedoug said:
I had the tank running for 2 days before the fish went in. Think I got my terminology wrong. Fish have been in there for 3 weeks already.

Tank should cycle for several weeks before fish go in. My tank was up for 6 weeks before fish went in.

thats why they always try to sell you clowns or damsels cause they're hardy.i did it when i first started but didnt no better.mines been cycling for months and im ready to get my fish

Adding 6 fish before your tank has cycled is not a good idea. Even when your tank has cycled, you should only add 2 fish maximum at a time and waiting anywhere from 4-6 weeks in between fish. You will need to purchase a test kit. Besides what others have already mentioned I would recommend phosphate and calcium tests as well. At our store you have to buy them separately they don't come in the kit.
Cycling in my opinion, is live rock and live sand for 4-6 weeks. Or at minimum until your ammonia level is at 0 after it has spiked.

tank has been cycled for months and all parimeters are perfect.i only plan on buying fish once a month.had this tank running over a year till a disease.this this time i will quarantine

dwint said:
tank has been cycled for months and all parimeters are perfect.i only plan on buying fish once a month.had this tank running over a year till a disease.this this time i will quarantine

I think Chelsea was referring to the original poster.

Back
Top Bottom