Testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saint3402

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Will a cold water temp affect a salt water test?
I've put sand in, waited, tested, and put more in again and I still get the exact same results...

What are you trying to read? If you mean things like ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate if it's premixed SW made with RO/DI water you shouldn't get any readings

Testing for the salt level. This water is tap with prime...

Tap water will cause an unbelievable algae out break. It is best to start a new tank with RO water right from the start. How are you reading the SG with a refractometer or hydrometer? It is best to mix your water out of the tank so you have more control and mix with a power head overnight to completely dissolve everything.

Hydrometer. Ill have an ro/di in about a week. I know about the algae.

Hydrometers are known to be innaccurate, that might be why you're getting the same reading over and over.

If it's in your budget a refractometer is a priceless purchase for about $30-50

My hydrometer was WAY off, lol. I bought a refractometer a little while ago, my salt was ridiculously high, but the hydrometer had said it was 1.024.

This is such an expensive hobby! My wife is gonna kill me lol

This is such an expensive hobby! My wife is gonna kill me lol

Just tell her everything is on sale and you have to get it now before someone else scoops it up. That has worked for me in the past but I think she's on to me. Hahahahahaha, on a serious note though a refractometer is the only way to go.

Hydrometers are no where near as accurate as refractometer. Given the choice, you should always uses the latter.

Back
Top Bottom