the all-mighty live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just thinking about how this hobby has changed in the last few years. When I started my first tank it was 1992 and I was in college. I remember using the great "dolamite" substrate. (where did that go?) I do not think anyone was using sand yet. Crushed coral wast the only other options. I had never even heard of live rock until I decided to start up a SW tank again about two years ago. Now it seems to be the one thing we, as SW hobbists, drool over the most. Does anyone remember when LR started to be used in the home aquarium? 12 years ago I had never heard of it, now it seems no one would reccomend a SW tank without it. All right all of you "oldies"...when did LR come around and what did your first SW tank consist of? History is great, isn't it :wink: ...Lando

Are you kidding? I still have half a bag of dolomite in the garage. (Boy do I need to throw things out) I don't think I saw lr till 95. Everything was bleached coral for decorations. And even then ugfs were standard equip. Lots of water changes to combat the high nitrates. Boy that is something I don't miss

When I had my first tank back in I believe 1977 ( I was in HS) the state of the art was an undergravel filter, CC and some plastic plants. My how times change. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom