the beginning of a fish list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peter101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i'd like to have a few kinds of fish in my 90 gal FOWLR.
first i'd reallyl ike to have a couple of clowns, probably perculass maybe a few tomatos. my questions with these has to do with compatibility between species. should i feel free to mix different species of clowns together or are there certain restrictions?
the species i'd like to have in either a blue, or yellow tang. which of these would you recomend for my 90 gal?
i'd also like to have a few cardinals - i like bangaii (sp.?).

any suggestions on possiple combinations on these species?
how many more fish will be confortable in a 90 gallon?
what other suggestions that are compatible with these fish?
i am a marine newb and appriciate any help
thanx,
peter

couple of clowns, probably perculass maybe a few tomatos

Mixing species of clowns in anything less than a 125 is highly dangerous. The tomatos will kill the percs. Even in larger tanks, you need to be very careful about which clowns to mix, tomatos, sebaes/clarkiis, maroons are single species per tank, and most often should be the only clown.

laright well i guess i will stick to the percs. how many woul you recomend for a tank of this size?
I think i have made up my mind about the tang - I want to have 1 blue tang. i've been told that most all tangs are single species unless kept in a very larege aquaria.
are the cardinals conpatible with these two speices?

I can't say I know much...but I know that in my tank the bangaii cardinal and perc clowns are fine together. Mine pretty much ignored each other because "Spike" (cardinal) was pretty laid back and didn't do much of anything.

I decided on the perc clown fish simply because I read so many awful things about maroon clowns and that they don't mix well.

Hopefully someone else will have more factual information but IMO Spike and the two clowns did just fine together and my tank is smaller than yours.

peter101 said:
laright well i guess i will stick to the percs. how many woul you recomend for a tank of this size?
quote]
2 percs. per block(tank). 2 will probobly mate up, then any others might get beat on by the pair. If you get a couple of pairs you might have a gang war. That would be bad for everyone. drive-by's etc may occur

peter101 said:
2 percs. per block(tank). 2 will probobly mate up, then any others might get beat on by the pair. If you get a couple of pairs you might have a gang war. That would be bad for everyone. drive-by's etc may occur

youpey. LOL at your gang wars comment!! Thinking of getting some clowns myself, how likely is it that two will pair up?

I have read if you put them in at the same time they will be ok. If you have one and add another, a smaller clown would be better. I did not do either one of those rules. My 2 clowns are the best of friends. They became friends within 5 minutes. It actually made my first clown more active. I cant say this will always be the case, just my experience. PS my clowns are 2 true perculas

My 2 Ocellaris clowns paired up as soon as the 2nd one hit the water and have been buds since, I was worried for a bit when they were acting weird but they were doing the sex dance.

And I myself would only go with 2 clowns of one species...

hummm can you pair up maroon clowns? I believe they are the most agressive of the clowns and I don't recall seeing two together.

Back
Top Bottom